Author Topic: corys 20VT - it has finally begun - can this be moved to the projects page pls?  (Read 7333 times)

Offline Cory

• Here all the time
so i bought my mk2 with the intention of doing a 20vt conversion after i finished uni, I've now graduated from my graphic design BA with a better result than expected, worked my fingers to the bone all summer and finally picked up a good donor car last night

been looking forward to, and planning this for a couple of years now, and in no way shape or form claim to be a master engine builder or mechanic, but have learnt a lot over the last 28 months that I've spent with my mk2, and have found that the only way to learn is to get stuck in and enjoy it

so will be spending the next few months ticking parts off of my shopping list ready for the swap  :evil:

looking forward to drinking lots of updates  :laugh:

the mk2 and donor in question

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Looks interesting :cool:
"Dub Rides" section may be the best place for this, as it seems a far busier than the Projects section these days.. http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=45.0

If you really want to put it in the Projects section, then you'll have to send "JV" a pm to make it happen :wink:

Thom

Offline Cory

• Here all the time
cheers thom  :cool: my mk2's only a driver, so have a bit or research and a fww questions to be answered yet, mainly electrical, and parts numbers etc. cant wait to start getting the mk2 ready for the transplant

Offline richking

• GTI forum regular
Hi mate, im in the exact same boat as you. I have a balck driver that looks just like yours and i have a 1.8t agu engine. spent the last few weeks getting bits together.  Are you doing all the work yourself?

Offline Cory

• Here all the time
ah sweet! yes I'm doing the work myself buddy  :cool:  it will be good to catch how your getting on with yours, started a project thread? might be interesting to compare parts lists if you have one?

so i have complied two lists of parts that i think ill need and are as follows . . .

DONAR CAR PARTS I NEED

engine + ancillaries
Intake manifold
throttlebody
exhause manifold + turbo
intake tubes from turbo to airbox
exhaust down pipe
lamda sensor + mount
boost control valve
ignition coils
fuel rails + injectors
fuel pressure regulator
bottom radiator hose
heater hoses
air / coolent sensors
engine part of the wiring loom
crank sensor
ecu
keys
clocks

PARTS TO SOURCE

air filter
intercooler - mercedes sprinter
T piece for oil pressure sensors
top radiator hose
k-jet fuel pump and intake lift pump
fuel hoses + clips
engine mounts - G60
fuel / air ratio meter - wide band
1.6 carb cable for throttle
oil temp / pressure gauges and sendors
boost gauge
G60 calipers and carriers
16v hubs
16v servo
22mm master cylinder
intercooler mounts - being fabricated by a friend
gti clocks
radiator - e36 top fill
manifold - qpeng
dump valve 007p

some of the parts i know are not completely necessary but are all upgrades that i want to do

if i have missed anything then do tell me as im sure someone will - i know theres nothing about gear boxes in there yet. im going to be using the 02j from the audi but haven't looked into that side of it in great detail yet. im going to keep the audi shift tower and fit that to the mk2. just not sure about the necessary clutch conversion business yet. but if anyone knows a definitive solution dont hesitate to share it!

also ive just ordered a pair of G60 callipers and carriers
new wishbones and bushes
and some 19mm ball joints

ROLL ON PAYDAY
« Last Edit: 17 September 2012, 17:30 by Cory »