Author Topic: Budget Mk2 GTI 8v....which seems to be out of control!  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Andy P

• GTI forum regular
I bought this puppy back in April and the progress has been slow but steady.

Spec as follows.

1989 MK2 8V GTI
30k 2.0 8v with TSR 'Pack A' head and cam
Full Jetex system
Piper Vernier pulley
Pipercross panel filter
Lowered 40mm on????
EBC green stuff pads, grooved disks and braided hoses.

15x7 BBS RZs.

This is how i bought it

In the past 6 months ive had some minor bodywork done, fitted a 2 lamp grill with chrome badge and more recently fitted a new heater matrix....what a pain in the ass!

The wheels have been fully refurbed in silver, acid dipped....the lot! I also managed to get some BBS centre caps which looks a sh!t load better than the VW stickers 

I managed to sort a tidy interior and yesterday i recieved some mint door cards. Some joker painted the current ones gloss black. 

When i bought it the timing was WELL out. Now having the vernier fitted it produces a healthy 135bhp and 145lb/ft of torque. Quite a fun drive!

This was supposed to be a cheap "runaround" to chuck my board in and the dog and not worry about where i park it etc, its not anymore  :laugh:

Now before xmas i bought a set of BBS RM's, 15x8J. They were described with light kerbing but having mint centres. What i got was different.

Poorly wrapped and covered in CV boot grease and crap. I was gutted. So i spent an hour giving them a good clean to see the damage. Most of the rims are kerbed all over, but i think i can save them, but the centres are heavily corroded and will need repainting. So im in two minds whether to send them back or ask for some money off.  :undecided:

So i put them on the mk2 to see if they drove straight and they do.

But looking like that i think i will have to sacrifice some skin on my fingers and refurb them  :drool:

Also i have fitted new amber side reps and indicators, OEM freshness  :smug: :smug:

Cool site by the way  :cool:

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
Re: Budget Mk2 GTI 8v....which seems to be out of control!
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2011, 20:03 »
Good work.  I want your wheels!

every time i look at a big bumber 3 door i regret having a small bumper 5 door!

Offline dan_apps

• I live here
  • too low for british roads!
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2011, 20:21 »
looks good! with regard the wheels it all depends on how much you paid for them, a GOOD set goes for £800+ whilst a set thats been newly refurb and mint goes for £1000+!

Offline Andy P

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2011, 20:26 »
Small bumper more doors are cool. More retro.  :cool:

Well I only paid £600 with tyres, albeit 2 of them are no good. But they were described differently. I think I will keep them. Put the hard work in and they will come up nicely. But it suits the rz's nicely too :)

Offline VR6_ROB

• I live here
  • Mk2 VR6 / Corrado G60
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2011, 20:29 »
looks like a good solid golf looks nice are they porsche door handles you have on

Offline Andy P

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2011, 20:56 »
Yep no rot on it at all, so far :smiley: they are plastic handles :grin: already on it when I bought it. I thought about fitting mk3 handles, it would be a nice little touch.

Rob have you done any archwork on your mk2?

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2011, 21:36 »
Lovely car mate love mk2s in black and love both sets of wheels both suit the car really well  :cool:
Golf Gti

Offline DrewGTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2011, 22:04 »
looks good! with regard the wheels it all depends on how much you paid for them, a GOOD set goes for £800+ whilst a set thats been newly refurb and mint goes for £1000+!

In summer maybe, but not at the moment!

I'm an obsessed bbs hunter and I haven't seen a mint set go for more than £800 for months now. There is a very mint set on edition38 15x8 with tyres and freshly done, were £900 now £700!!

Sweet car mate!! Love the RM's!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2011, 22:56 »
Seriously nice looking car!...  :cool:

Love both sets of whels, what did you do with the bimmer wheels and where was the tread for the front tyres!  :shocked:

Offline Andy P

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2011, 23:08 »
The BMW are for sale soon. Wanna buy them? ;)

Drew, I really didn't want to know about those rm prices haha.

Thanks for the comments :)