Author Topic: Alec's mk2 8valve  (Read 9306 times)

Offline Alec

• I live here
Alec's mk2 8valve
« on: 14 March 2010, 23:18 »
After having a play with the golf today I felt like making a thread about it.

Picked up the car for £800 quid a few years ago from a friend, the best £800 quid I am ever likely to spend. The paint was tornado orange and looking quite sorry for itself but had totally no rust on the shell and looking really good underneath with much evidense of waxoyl and underseal.
Spent a big sum getting it mot'd and a full respray late last year and am now going to focus on getting all brand new seals etc and get the interior perfect

Its a big bumper 8valve with TSR 2litre fast road (Donnington?), quaife lsd, G60 brakes and on coils. The history shows way too much work to list.

Found some paperwork in the history relating to a Tim Stiles and a list of things he apparently wanted to do to this car, I only ask who he is because there is a magazine (VW Golf?) magazine in the history with a few mentions of the guy.

Couple of pics below but will get a project thread going showing all the work it has had done in the past etc

« Last Edit: 19 July 2010, 21:20 by Alec »

Offline Alec

• I live here
Re: Sir Digby's mk2
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2010, 23:25 »
a photo I took before cleaning a very dirty/mouldy dashboard. Looks nice and shiny now though  :tongue:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2010, 00:08 »
Tim Stiles (TSR Performance), was the boss / owner when I worked there, he sold out and not long after it went bust, back under new owners now.

If it is a genuine TSR engine it should be blue and where the engine number will be another number stamped, if you ring TSR with that number they can tell you who built the engine and the spec.

Nice looking car by the way. :afro:

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2010, 00:29 »
Tim Stiles (TSR Performance), was the boss / owner when I worked there, he sold out and not long after it went bust, back under new owners now.

If it is a genuine TSR engine it should be blue and where the engine number will be another number stamped, if you ring TSR with that number they can tell you who built the engine and the spec.

Aaah right sound, yeah the engine was blue and I have rang them to confirm the number but they couldnt tell me much about the engine due to not having records going that far back on the pc or something like that.

Most of the invoices for the engine parts etc are from between 99 and 2001 from TSR
Owner of the car was an Andy Cooper

Cheers for the info Wayne

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2010, 08:52 »
love it :afro: looks mint too.

i bet it is a very fun car to drive to with a 2L TSR block and a LSD!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2010, 09:21 »

Aaah right sound, yeah the engine was blue and I have rang them to confirm the number but they couldnt tell me much about the engine due to not having records going that far back on the pc or something like that.

Most of the invoices for the engine parts etc are from between 99 and 2001 from TSR
Owner of the car was an Andy Cooper

Cheers for the info Wayne

Yes all the old records are in books, I would think they still have them somewhere.

Offline luke

• I live here
  • When in doubt, whip it out!
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2010, 12:50 »
alec you know where I am if you need any help, just don't call me tea-b!tch  :rolleyes: :tongue:
maybe even a few bevvies  :wink:
1985 mk2 gti type 19 8v
2018 t roc sel 1.6tdi

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2010, 13:31 »
Looks very nice  :cool:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Alec

• I live here
Re: Alec's mk2 8valve
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2010, 21:37 »
Small and pointless update.

Got some window stickers through from the store on here so went out and set about putting them in straight, so the missus took over

I was surprised with the quality of them actually, so cheers JV.

Seals around the doors are in a right state, as are the roof runners

Has anybody got any idea where I can get hold of some door seals? I think my local VW dealer has some but they are getting on for £80 a pop. Also the rubber roof strips? These seem to be like hens teeth.

I also removed the tatty VW and GolfGTI badges from the rear to paint them

What colour does everyone think I should paint them? I thought about black maybe, because it would look good on red. Unless anybody has any good links to somewhere I can get some new ones?

I could also really do with a new rear bumper as it has been pretty mangled out of shape since I have had it, I took it off and stuck some washers/spacers under the brackets and it did work, but not by much. Are these available from anywhere in good quality?

It's about time I pulled my finger out and charged head on into all of the silly little niggles so I can get it looking mega tidy for the R-Tech RR day in August.

Offline piglet85

• Just got here
Re: Alec's mk2 8valve
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2010, 23:01 »
i'm very proud i put thm in straight  :laugh: