Author Topic: BKD - Worth repairing?  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Defender

• Not said much yet
BKD - Worth repairing?
« on: 10 December 2012, 13:34 »
Sad tale - bought a Golf GT TDI 4Motion private sale had it a few weeks and the water warning light came on. Checked water and there's oil in there, garage have said it's most likely a cracked head and have had quotes from £1k to £2k to fix it.

What I'm wondering is if I stump up the cash to repair it are there any other common problems with the BKD engine that I might get further down the road?

To top it off the garage have also said the dual mass flywheel appears to be on it's way out so I'm looking at some big bills for a 7 year old car!

I don't know whether I should part ex it or stump up the cash and repair it.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: BKD - Worth repairing?
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2012, 13:43 »
Is it an early BKD? I know over on Audi Sport many BKD owners suffered porus heads and had them replaced FOC by Audi.

I'd certainly contact VW UK and ask for the same treatment  :wink:

Offline Defender

• Not said much yet
Re: BKD - Worth repairing?
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2012, 14:05 »
It is a 2005 and has a revision B cylinder head, having a look around it seems you get a 50/50 chance of the heads cracking with revision B.

I agree it's worth a phone call but I've not heard of anyone getting it done for free by VW.

It has been serviced by VW upto 81k then the last service was done by an independant at 95k so I would have thought that they wouldn't be interested.