Author Topic: Is rust becoming a common problem ?  (Read 6107 times)

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
Re: Is rust becoming a common problem ?
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2020, 07:14 »
Tried everything mate, nothing worked. They were being a55holes about it.
They just didn't understand my point of view.

All it would have been was around £800 out of their pocket to keep a customer happy, and they weren't willing to do it even with the car already booked in at their paintshop. Said it all for me really.
Probably won't buy a VW again in the future.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2020, 09:22 »
↑ looking at your pistonheads thread if you had said it was the other way round and point A wasnt covered but point B was I would have understood that completely. Point A On the front wings I have seen on mk4 and 5 and I believe maybe caused by stone chip from wheels that stick out. This can then break the paint surface, water gets in and starts flaking when the wing flexes. Causing chunks to flake off. Hen starts rusting as its always getting wet and debree there due to incorrect offaet wheels. Thry also rust there fromthe inside out but thats the sponge issue or manufacturing line clamping of the sills body issue thats well documented.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2020, 09:26 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2020, 09:42 »
@Burger81 - sorry to hear of your experiences. There does seem to be a reluctance by VW to honour their corrosion warranty in many instances, and an inconsistency of approach by VW / dealerships on individual cases. Historically, quite a few owners of VW’s from the early 2000’s experienced front wing corrosion, with varying degrees of success when claiming for rectification under the corrosion warranty (apologies for my lengthy ramblings below, which gives some background to those cases :grin:).

Corrosion on the front wings along the edge / wheel arch flange of the upper section of the wheel arch wasn’t uncommon on early 2000’s VW models. VW’s standard response in many instances was that the rectification of the corrosion wasn’t covered under the corrosion warranty, as the rusting was caused by a ‘mechanical defect‘.

The corrosion on cars from that era was caused by poor design of how the plastic wheel arch liner was fixed / fitted to the car, resulting in vibration and slight movement of the liner, and the edge of the liner rubbing through the galvanised layer on reverse side of wheel arch flange. This allowed road dirt and moisture to corrode the edge of the wing from the reverse side, and by the time paint bubbles or visible corrosion was evident on the outer surface, corrosion was usually well advanced. It was the action of wheel arch liner rubbing against the wing that VW considered to be a mechanical defect. 

Foam filler blocks fitted between inner and outer wings on early 2000’s VW’s is also a known cause of corrosion.

Owners who had one or both of these problems and asked for repairs under warranty tended to get one of four outcomes;
  • Warranty claim was denied on the basis of the corrosion being the result of a mechanical defect and not rusting-through from the inside out of the affected panel(s) as a result of ineffective corrosion protection
  • Warranty claim denied, but VW contributed towards the cost of repairs if the car had a full VW service history
  • The corroded panel(s) was (were) repaired under warranty
  • The corroded panel(s) was (were) replaced under warranty
Since Dieselgate and the associated costs that VW have incurred, they are generally taking a much firmer line on warranty claims. So if there’s anything they can use to support repudiation of a claim, there’s a good chance they may do so.

In view of the historical inconsistent approach, you could try a different dealer to see if you get a different response and outcome.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2020, 11:58 »
Tried everything mate, nothing worked. They were being a55holes about it.
They just didn't understand my point of view.

All it would have been was around £800 out of their pocket to keep a customer happy, and they weren't willing to do it even with the car already booked in at their paintshop. Said it all for me really.
Probably won't buy a VW again in the future.

Do you have any photos of the rust so we know the exact areas to keep an eye on ? Thanks
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2020, 08:57 »
If I could work out how to post pictures I could show you!
Alternatively there is a thread on piston heads under the bodywork and detailing section, 11 pages in titled 2016 golf GTi rust.