Author Topic: Clutch Problems  (Read 1133 times)

Offline ritmo

• Not said much yet
Clutch Problems
« on: 13 September 2011, 14:23 »
Hi looking for some advice, I jumped in to my 90 8v MK2 yesterday and put my foot on the clutch pedal, It felt like the cable had just snapped however the pedal returned and now feels very soft (no resistance) and I cant get any gears.
I replaced the cable about 3 months ago so dont think its that, its a 020 box could it be the realease mechanisim or spring??
Dont want to take the box out again!!
any advice suggestions would be good. :smiley:
Andy

Offline nathgolfpologolf

• Not said much yet
Re: Clutch Problems
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2011, 14:29 »
might be worth checking that the cable hasnt come out of any of its mounts, i have had this happen on my previous golf and my current polo  :smiley:
i'd rather push a vw than drive a french car!

Offline ritmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2011, 21:40 »
thanks just checked all the connections and got my misses to press the clutch in and out there seems to be a noise like a ballbearing droping near the flywheel end of the gearbox :shocked:!!!!
anyone came accross this before? does this mean the clutch has failed?

Offline sparkplug

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2011, 12:11 »
might be your release bearing failed
1986 GTI atlas grey

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2011, 23:13 »
might be your release bearing failed

^^This :afro: remove the green cover on the endc of the box and see what is going on.

Offline ritmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2011, 18:51 »
thanks guys
after checking the cable was in order the next thing was to change the release bearing however old one was worn but still functional put a new one in and its still the same  :angry: so decided to strip the gearbox off and found the problem to be a broken pressure plate.
I have a couple of problems cant get the pressure plate bolts off!! whats the best way? I have tried to jam the plate with a metal bar but still cant get them off!!!! also I dont know how I managed this but the seal in the centre of the drive shaft flange on the gear box is leaking oil :angry: is there any way of changing this?
any advice on this would be good.
thanks
Andy.

Offline mk2bal

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2011, 20:30 »
Hold the 19mm multi point bolt on the crank pulley on the opposite side to undo your bolts. Gearbox input shaft seals can be had from vw/ gsf etc.. Brokevw show guides with pics for a walkthrough

Offline ritmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2011, 21:47 »
thanks
Brokevw is good site with alot of good info. He has a good trick for holding the pressure plate with a spanner and two bolts. A mate is coming around tomorrow with an impact driver so should get them off.
will let you know how it turns out.
Andy :smiley:

Offline ritmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2011, 22:02 »
 :smiley: I sooo need to get my self a snapon inpact driver had the bolts off in seconds and the new pressure plate back on, the misses talked me down after seeing the price of them!!!!!, just need to order up the driveshaft flange seal from VW and put it all back together. Going to put some redline oil in the box also.
keep you posted
A

Offline ritmo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2011, 23:55 »
Just thought I would let you know that all is back together and the car is running very good with the new clutch.
Also if anyone is thinking about changing there gearbox oil then I would recomend the redline oil for the 020 box as I was experiancing the 2nd gear crunch when cold but I no longer get this with this oil :wink:
thanks
Andy