Author Topic: Fred's Thoughts on Mk8 GTI ownership  (Read 16627 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Re: Fred's Thoughts on Mk8 GTI ownership
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2021, 15:05 »
One question I dont see asked or answered is, does the MK8 have the annoying fake speaker noise when in Sport mode?

MK7 GTi

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2021, 15:14 »
One question I dont see asked or answered is, does the MK8 have the annoying fake speaker noise when in Sport mode?

Yes it has a soundaktor.... everything has a similar technology.

Turn it (pretty much) off by using individual mode and setting everything to nuts mode except the noise... put that into eco.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2021, 19:25 »
Excellent write-up Fred. My steaming hot coffee went cool enough for me to drink while reading that.

How are you doing mpg-wise compared to your GTD?
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2021, 19:30 »
Excellent write-up Fred. My steaming hot coffee went cool enough for me to drink while reading that.

How are you doing mpg-wise compared to your GTD?

I drank a whole pot of tea writing it!

Mpg not quite as good... Unlike the gtd it is possible to get shocking fuel economy.

Think its averaging high twenties so far.

Don't tell Mrs G...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2021, 20:49 »
Nice write up Fred, thanks  :smiley:
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2021, 21:50 »
I wonder if VW will add back lights to the slider controls in the mid year change? Does seem a bit of an over sight.
I know you can you voice control/ steering wheel controls. But If a passenger wants to change it then it could be annoying

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2021, 22:05 »
Passengers can use voice control too and it knows which seat its coming from... Multiple microphones.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 05 March 2021, 06:08 »
Really good to read your initial thoughts fredgroves, I’d been looking forward to this thread.

As SR says, it’s far more informative than the so called influencers to the layman who might actually be in the process of buying or considering doing so.

You forgot to mention how nice the steering wheel is to hold!  :grin: A strange thing but it’s actually one of the things I like most about the car.

Although I only see the car in the dark most days I still find the plastic on parts of the door cards (such as the door grab handles) plus the centre console pretty low rent.

The windscreen reflections are less than those in the 1 Series.
What I do have though are annoying reflections in the driver’s side window. When looking dead ahead I keep seeing the white lines on the road reflected in the corner of my right eye which is distracting. Almost like a pulsating white light descending in line with the door mirror.

I’ve recently noticed the temporary disabled front system warning seems to come up at almost the same time each journey (circa four minutes) and there’s still no clue as to when the car has decided it’s all operating fine again.

The wheel arch areas have almost zero sound insulation you’ll notice the first time you drive over some loose chippings at low speed. No wonder Golfs suffer a lot of tyre roar.

The AID displays GPS provided warning triangles even when approaching unsigned sharp bends in the road.
The speed limit and warning sign icons are tiny which means someone becoming a bit long sighted such as me can’t see the icon at all well.
HUD probably displays it much clearer(?). I don’t miss the HUD after having it in the BMW as the AID is really nice to look at, but if I was driving on unfamiliar roads quite often I think the HUD would be a massive boon.

Just like the M135i, depending on which AID dial selection you select there is no current gear selected number when in normal D mode which niggles me. In S or manual the number appears.

Incidentally, despite having no DCC I’m increasingly impressed with the ride quality of the Clubsport considering the car came on 18’s and is now running hefty 19’s.

Like yourself Fred, Audi Nardo really appealed to me and Moonstone is a very attractive and easy to maintain shade of grey. It would definitely be my pick of the palette for a daily driver.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2021, 06:31 »
Great write up Fred, looking forward to the next review.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline bjbanny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2021, 10:13 »
Grab yourself a cuppa (and a piece of cake, Mcvities Jamaican Ginger cake is my sponsor) , I do like to ramble on... :whistle:

Wireless android auto not yet available, wireless apple carplay is. Possibly coming with an update of the MIB software (1788) but who knows...

There is however no nav map view in the AID (although software version 1788 might fix that but not seen that in the UK yet - in Germany they have it on new builds now). Its only not there because VW have disabled it... for some reason.

There is no cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel and no overhead sunglasses container. The cup holders in the centre console (where the handbrake would be) doesn't have the retractable cover like the Mk7 and the cubby hole forward of the gearstick (now "chicken nugget") doesn't have a hatch cover.

thanks for your very informative and entertaining writeup. i thorughly enjoyed it over my lunch time at work.  :smiley:

I cant believe they even cheap out on sunglass container  :sad:

A very disappointed that the cup holder can no longer be covered as i like my car tidy although this option is available in Chinese version of  Golf showing VW priority market.  :angry:

it has been established in Germany that GTI build before week 48 with part NO 5H0035816B for the 1668, 1664 or 1666 can not be upgraded to part NO 5H0035820D with 1788 as they have different part number possibly different manufacturer.

People who have had their head unit in the Golf with 1666 exchange due to repeat problems this year from VW only received the 1668 installed but Android Auto still didn't work although they report a smoother and faster unit

ordered on 30/09/2020 
GTI, Pure White, Business Premium Pack, Fog light, Tinted side & rear windows,   "Richmond" alloy wheels 18, Belmont winter wheels,  IQ.LIGHT  LED Metrix, pick up Autostadt Wolfsburg.