Author Topic: Wheel bolts  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
Wheel bolts
« on: 15 December 2013, 19:48 »
Through experience can anybody recommend a suitable thread length of wheel bolts i need to fit my merc wheels to my golf the standard bolts are too short i have heard you need a minimum of 8 threads showing through the back of the wheel and the bolt heads are radius not tapered any ideas?

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
Re: Wheel bolts
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2013, 02:18 »
Golf mk6 wheel bolts are M14x1.5x27, I would think 27mm is the overhaul length not thread length.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2013, 19:55 »
With respect not massively helpful the merc wheels face are thicker so take up more threads before they hit the hub

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2013, 01:30 »
You don't need any thread sticking out of the back of the disc as they do nothing only rust.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2013, 01:40 »
You don't need any thread sticking out of the back of the disc as they do nothing only rust.

I think he means with the Merc wheels off the car he should have 8 threads showing at the back of the wheel, how long would the bolts need to be to achieve this as the merc wheels are thicker than the Golf wheels?

Not threads sticking out the back of the disc.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline ttdan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2013, 08:15 »
Stick your standard bolt through and measure it, if its not long enough you will see. I imagine you should check the merc spec for the bolt head type not vw spec.

Sorry if that sounds too obvious   :smiley:

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2013, 16:45 »
Cheers dan, as you guessed i did not mean out of the back of the disc that is ludocris! I've not measured yet of course i can do this jus wondered if anyone had done this previous they are a raduis head i believe same the ones on my golf know

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2013, 19:12 »
Looks like a 40mm will do the job ordered one and the merc ones look the same radiused so toch wood