Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2775658 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2240 on: 25 May 2015, 23:30 »
Did a final adjustment by myself to my front driver's door.

Re-hung the door by adjusting the latch and moving the door outward by a hair's breath. Also, adjusted the shiny black trim on it which was badly fitted. All is now as good as it can ever be with near perfectly hung doors and the shiny black trims that line up perfectly at the top.

My drivers door has been poorly hung and I'm getting slight wind noise dependent on speed and direction of the wind.
I've taken it back to the dealer and they say its been sorted but it looks and feels much the same to me.
The give away is the black trim on the B pillar looks at a slightly different angle although it might just be the trim that is out.
I would attempt to adjust it myself but haven't a clue where to start with either the door or the trim.

Is it straight forward?
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2241 on: 25 May 2015, 23:55 »

Re-hung the door by adjusting the latch and moving the door outward by a hair's breath. Also, adjusted the shiny black trim on it which was badly fitted. All is now as good as it can ever be with near perfectly hung doors and the shiny black trims that line up perfectly at the top.

And what did you do to deserve the 'wonky door' curse, may I ask?  The very curse that has now (un)kindly been placed upon me by your good self  :tongue:

Anyway, sounds like your doors are as good as ithry're going to be.  Didn't you trust VW to do a good job  :wink:

I am afraid the curse cannot be lifted as you have categorically stated you hate an R in Red and shod with Cadiz wheels. Lifting the curse requires me to indulge in rather unsavoury things which I am not prepared to do. What I can offer you is a slight reduction in the voracity of the curse, but I have no idea how this might diminish the final result.

The VW Bodyshop is useless and is part of the Fix Auto franchise. I take my car for delicate panel adjustments either to Auto Audio where such minor adjustments are free for me or to Acton Coachworks at H.R Owen, if I wish to have Insurance Work done. As far as Warranty work is concerned, thank the Good Lord my car was a rather decently finished one. Not all are. I have seen some real shockers which I would reject in a heartbeat. Mk7 Golfs seem to have very variable build to put it mildly.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2242 on: 26 May 2015, 00:01 »

My drivers door has been poorly hung and I'm getting slight wind noise dependent on speed and direction of the wind.
I've taken it back to the dealer and they say its been sorted but it looks and feels much the same to me.
The give away is the black trim on the B pillar looks at a slightly different angle although it might just be the trim that is out.
I would attempt to adjust it myself but haven't a clue where to start with either the door or the trim.

Is it straight forward?

Re-hanging the doors is very fiddly but straightforward if tackled with care. You need a very good eye and some measuring shims. Car mechanics are useless at this. You need a very good master fitter from a bodyshop to obtain a decent result.

Yes, I did also adjust my shiny black trim (only one was out) and it was not easy. I would strongly recommend you don't do it yourself but take it to a bodyshop of good repute.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2243 on: 26 May 2015, 00:16 »
Mk7 Golfs seem to have very variable build to put it mildly.

The more I read, the more it seems that way.  Makes the MK6 look like top quality workmanship, maybe I should keep it!

I am afraid the curse cannot be lifted as you have categorically stated you hate an R in Red and shod with Cadiz wheels. Lifting the curse requires me to indulge in rather unsavoury things which I am not prepared to do. What I can offer you is a slight reduction in the voracity of the curse, but I have no idea how this might diminish the final result.

Interesting how "least favourite" has translated into "hate"  :wink:

I don't recall asking you to lift the curse.  I stand by my statement and am prepared to face the door consequences, however wonky they may be.  And, I would "hate" you to subject yourself to unsavoury acts even if that might result in a more favourable outcome for the doors on my (yet to be built) R.  Though if you dabble in Dark Arts you should be prepared to suffer these unmentionable things.

Goodnight my dearest Asker.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2015, 00:23 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2244 on: 26 May 2015, 09:49 »
Rebecca my dear,
I had a dream last night. The curse has been lifted. You cannot be cursed as your name has the initial R and you are buying an R!
Happy days!
Asker

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2245 on: 26 May 2015, 10:08 »
Rebecca my dear,
I had a dream last night. The curse has been lifted. You cannot be cursed as your name has the initial R and you are buying an R!
Happy days!
Asker

"All's Well That Ends Well"
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #2246 on: 26 May 2015, 11:41 »
Gave her another good wash over the weekend and ticked over 18k miles...

MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2247 on: 26 May 2015, 12:52 »
Had my keyless immobiliser/anti-hijack system fitted today. Now feel so much safer. One can't be too careful.

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #2248 on: 26 May 2015, 16:11 »
Gave her another good wash over the weekend and ticked over 18k miles...

Looking sweet. Must admit the Gti does look great in red.
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #2249 on: 26 May 2015, 16:18 »
Red does look great, JBircy's clean GTI and JBs R inspire me to clean mine today. Sealed with Hydro2, which could be the most perfect sealant yet. You literally spray on, pressure wash off and you've got protection.