Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169272 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #20 on: 15 January 2019, 10:49 »
Most articles point towards 2.0 litre with mild hybrid system, potentially using an electric compressor instead of traditional turbo.

Previous threads discussed the lack of actual buttons in the interior making way for touch controls for heating etc.

No doubt a pain to use but if it looks like this below it will be a pretty slick place to sit...

https://carsuvtruck.site/2019-vw-gti-mk8/2019-volkswagen-golf-gti-price-specs-release-date-carwow-within-2019-vw-gti-mk8/
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 15 January 2019, 10:58 »
Has anyone (any OEM) produced a mild hybrid 48v vehicle yet?

Be interesting to see what one might consist of....

Or are VAG likely to be among the first wave to introduce this? I know pretty much all manufacturers are talking about it (quite possibly based on someone's components made for the job... possibly even the same sub-components!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 15 January 2019, 11:03 »
AHa:

https://www.just-auto.com/news/audi-q8-comes-with-48v-mild-hybrid-tech_id182935.aspx

So the mild hybrid thing is actually a battery system to restart the engine rather than drive the vehicle.... and the engine switches off all of the time - not just at stop.

Regenerative braking charges the battery... a 10Ah battery...

I can hear all of the anti-start-stop coders screaming already!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 15 January 2019, 13:24 »
Bit more detail here:

https://youtu.be/jFj7TkhOi3Q

(sorry the music is annoying but its got good info)

So yes, saving fuel by both coasting and running the million electrical items from a rechargable electric system instead of stealing energy from the engine driven alternator. Adds up to some fuel saving, probably not a lot from you pocket, but probably if adopted across every car in Europe a few million tonnes of CO2 per year.

The other thing that video shows on the new high Audis is truly dynamic DCC... spotting potholes and speed bumps and adjust the damping accordingly - very clever. No doubt if VW have that on the Mk8 it will be "DCC" (£800) or "DCC plus auto bump spotting" (£1500).

Interesting tech though! I love a bit of tech!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 15 January 2019, 14:13 »
Most articles point towards 2.0 litre with mild hybrid system, potentially using an electric compressor instead of traditional turbo.

Previous threads discussed the lack of actual buttons in the interior making way for touch controls for heating etc.

No doubt a pain to use but if it looks like this below it will be a pretty slick place to sit...

https://carsuvtruck.site/2019-vw-gti-mk8/2019-volkswagen-golf-gti-price-specs-release-date-carwow-within-2019-vw-gti-mk8/

Looks like there’s quite a few additional buttons on the steering wheel than there are in the mk7.5. Hopefully that means functions such as adjusting the cabin temperature can also be done from the steering wheel buttons, rather than having to have an accurate aim to hit the appropriate part of a touch screen that’s positioned low down on the centre console.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2019, 19:55 »
New Car magazine has very believable looking mk8 GTI pics and quotes GTI 232bhp, GTI Cup 286bhp and R with 328bhp.

Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 January 2019, 20:28 »
Most articles have suggested 265bhp and that is indicated by VW development team. So 232bhp would be far too low, an extra 2bhp over the outgoing 7.5 GTI. Wouldn’t exactly be what anyone would call progress for a full new model!!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 17 January 2019, 14:01 »
I would expect a slight numerical gain, not enough to make a real world difference but enough to say "its up on power" (if you don't spot how the car is heavier...)

Radically more, nope and purely because of emissions control - VAG and everyone else need to reduce emissions not start making things more polluting. So some new emissions control measures and a slight power increase which overall drops the emissions is what I expect. The new measures wouldn't counter a massive power increase, so it will be for Top Trumps players and VW Marketing only.

"The new Mk8 GTI - more powerful and greener than any GTI ever!" will be the advertising slogan no doubt.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 17 January 2019, 16:46 »
I would expect a slight numerical gain, not enough to make a real world difference but enough to say "its up on power" (if you don't spot how the car is heavier...)

Radically more, nope and purely because of emissions control - VAG and everyone else need to reduce emissions not start making things more polluting. So some new emissions control measures and a slight power increase which overall drops the emissions is what I expect. The new measures wouldn't counter a massive power increase, so it will be for Top Trumps players and VW Marketing only.

"The new Mk8 GTI - more powerful and greener than any GTI ever!" will be the advertising slogan no doubt.

Let's start a new thread - state your power estimate of the new GTI, no editing of posts later on allowed! Just for fun, of course.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 17 January 2019, 18:06 »
Something else I remember reading in VW Driver (sp?) magazine when waiting for my car at the stealers was an article about new plastics tech for the interior - one which didn't absorb as much heat from sunlight coming in through the windows - the dash under the windscreen being the main offender.

By reducing this heat absorption it reduces the amount of cooling (and therefore energy needed for the AC, which comes of course from the engine) and hence CO2 is reduced.

I thought that was rather clever (not sexy but clever)... not sure if that will come... the 7 speed DSG box they also talked about did though...