Author Topic: Your opinion please  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Gozza

• I live here
Re: Your opinion please
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2010, 13:46 »
Done a few bits in the past including headgaskets so have had my moments, bit concerning though as I thought that belt was a cambelt hehe :grin:

How long do you think it would take/cost, dont like the fact its so cracked  :shocked:

Thanks all  :wink:

Offline turboben

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2010, 14:09 »
will be easy to change would only cost about £10 - £15 for a belt, or take it to your family mechanic im sure he would fit it for free after doing that work on your car it only takes 2 mins to change, he would proberly feel guilty charging you i know i would for a 2 min job

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2010, 14:23 »
Thanks all, feel silly thinking that was the cambelt  :grin: Ah well ya live n learn eh hehe.

I may well try to get him to do it but may just do it myself, any guides on here. Will have a search in min ;)

Offline Dub-77

• I live here
  • Dub again MK1 Golf Project
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2010, 17:29 »
Done a few bits in the past including headgaskets so have had my moments, bit concerning though as I thought that belt was a cambelt hehe :grin:

How long do you think it would take/cost, dont like the fact its so cracked  :shocked:

Thanks all  :wink:
mate mine was 10x worse than that mine had chunks missing from it it was that cracked  :laugh:
Show me a man with a tattoo and i'll show you a man with an interesting past :wink:

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2010, 23:55 »
oem auxilary drivebelt is £20+ iirc when i had mine replaced easy enough job and easier if you had it replaced when you had your cambelt changed as for the cracking across the grooves of the belt thats perfectly normal as long as its not starting to split across etc etc i would imagine that the grooves would be 'polished' also due to age/wear vw dont actually specify a change interval afaik but for the minor cost its worthwhile imo as wes says this drives your aircon/power steering/alternator
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline Gozza

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2010, 20:22 »
OK well the main belt is done I guess, although why VW did not change it at the 60k odd mile service I will never know.

Think I will leave that belt for the time being and wait til its a bit warmer at the very least, I don't remember being a fan of hitting things with cold knuckles whilst trying to undo tight bolts  :wink:

Offline Philpy

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2010, 10:58 »
they would not of replaced that belt if it goes in for a cam belt you get a cam belt and maybe tensioners not a auxillary belt, if it needed doing they proberly would of advised you get it done but would of not come in with the price

I know you dont get an auxillary belt in a cam belt kit, but I would like to think when he was in there and had the aux belt of he would of spoken to the owner and said, you aux belt is a bit cracked, its another £20 to do it, would you like me to change it.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2010, 11:32 »
they would not of replaced that belt if it goes in for a cam belt you get a cam belt and maybe tensioners not a auxillary belt, if it needed doing they proberly would of advised you get it done but would of not come in with the price

I know you dont get an auxillary belt in a cam belt kit, but I would like to think when he was in there and had the aux belt of he would of spoken to the owner and said, you aux belt is a bit cracked, its another £20 to do it, would you like me to change it.

moot point but when I had my cambelt changed at VW last year they noticed my aux belt was craking and replaced it FOC  :smiley:

At very least you should have been advised as to the state of it