Author Topic: radio code and new clocks  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Scottymk4

• Here all the time
radio code and new clocks
« on: 06 November 2015, 11:26 »
Hi Guys, I recently replaced the battery which has now got my radio asking for the code which i dont know... I know this should fix itself as its the original but I have also replaced the clocks on my car and was wondering is the code for the radio got from your clocks and not the ecu ? car is a mk4 golf

cheers
Scott
« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 11:38 by Scottymk4 »

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: radio code and new clocks
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2015, 15:52 »
I would be very interested in the answer to this as well...my books are all in Italian and I can't make head nor tail of the radio section. :undecided:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2015, 20:31 »
Go to VW dealer, they can request the code on their system.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2016, 14:10 »
Could some knowledgable person provide me with a definitive answer to this question please.

If I disconnect the power source to the radio ie, unhook the battery or unplug the radio (I'm planning on doing both, but for different reasons and at different times)...will I need the radio code to get it up and running again?

Car is a MK4 with the factory fitted, original radio set up and works very well...I have just managed to get hold of the correct cd player and I want to fit it, but I'm planning on altering the layout of the centre dash area...just a bit.

Going to the nearest VW dealer involves a drive of about 170 miles and they are not known for being helpful.

Before somebody jumps in a says 'go do a search' ...I've spent hours reading dozens of posts, some of them 12 years old or so and the concensus seems to be mainly 'you shouldn't', ... 'you might'... 'you don't'...'you do'...!!

Does anyone really know?
« Last Edit: 02 February 2016, 16:39 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2016, 17:24 »
Thanks again jv...firstly, you don't need any special 'key' to remove the head unit...I did mine with a fine bladed screwdriver with no problems or residual marks. Just be careful!

I have a second radio head unit (with the correct code) so I'm going to try out the memory thing next week and will report the result.

I have to say that you are one of the very few who can be bothered (there ARE of couple of others) to reply to queries and questions posed by others on this forum and for that, I thank you.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 11 February 2016, 17:31 by bgbazz »