Author Topic: How to: Do a boot pop on your mk2  (Read 33472 times)

Offline Ashley

• I live here
Re: How to: Do a boot pop on your mk2
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2008, 13:53 »
it's identical on the mk3, just need to find an oem switch now to do mine.. any ideas guys? was thinking a heated rear demister switch, but that's on/off rather than push to contact

Offline Mr.Tom

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2009, 18:11 »
Okay. I did this on a Mk3. Couldn't find one of the little joiner blocks, but improvised after I broke the bent hook end off the original rod :/
Anyway, my question is, if I did it the long way, running a wire to the front of the car (which took aaages), which of the 3 wires to the wiper motor should I use as a ground. I tried connecting to the plate that holds it, but I only get ground when the boot is open for some reason :huh:

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2009, 12:15 »
Okay. I did this on a Mk3. Couldn't find one of the little joiner blocks, but improvised after I broke the bent hook end off the original rod :/
Anyway, my question is, if I did it the long way, running a wire to the front of the car (which took aaages), which of the 3 wires to the wiper motor should I use as a ground. I tried connecting to the plate that holds it, but I only get ground when the boot is open for some reason :huh:

ground it on the boot lid or wiper motor itself  :wink:

here's how mine turned out;

Offline Mr.Tom

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2009, 23:52 »
I tried grounding it to the motors mount, and also the boot lid (since they are attached to each other). The popper would only operate when the boot was open like this.
In the end I went for the middle wire on the block of 3. Works fine, and the wiper stays put :D.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2009, 23:54 by Mr.Tom »