Author Topic: Fixed or long life service  (Read 2651 times)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Fixed or long life service
« on: 05 January 2019, 12:36 »
Hi fellow GTI’ers,

Looking for opinions. I have had my GTI approaching a year now so due a service. It’s a lease so called up the maintenance company and they said it’s not due for another year, when it will have its long life service.

I checked the car and indeed it isn’t due for another year. However, I understand VW recommend the long life service for people who do 20k miles a year and mainly on motorway. I only do 7k miles so should have the fixed service once a year.

I have tried explaining that the servicing interval set on the car doesn’t match my driving but they said they can’t do anything about it. I will have to give the car back in two years but should I bother pursuing it or just leave it? The servicing is ‘free’ as I’m paying for the maintenance.

Thoughts please?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Fixed or long life service
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2019, 13:26 »
When does the car say it needs a service?

As a lease you are only required to service the car in line with manufacturers recommended regime, so unless you want to fork out your own money to service a car that doesn't belong to you then i'd just leave it be. As long as there are no lights showing on the dashboard when you hand it back this should be fine.

However if it was my own personal car that I was intending to keep long term then I might take a different view, and have the car switched to fixed annual servicing.
7.5 GTD

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2019, 13:31 »
As above its leased so go with whatever they say. However at your low mileage and it being on long life servicing you really shouldn't have got for a maintenance contract as you aren't going to get your money's worth out of that.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2019, 14:19 »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I got the maintenance contract because thought I would service it every year - however car was delivered with the servicing set to every two years. Not sure if it’s an error or a cost saving exercise. I’ll learn not to get the maintenance package in future! I won’t even get through the tyres in my 3 year contract!

Live and learn!

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2019, 15:00 »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I got the maintenance contract because thought I would service it every year - however car was delivered with the servicing set to every two years. Not sure if it’s an error or a cost saving exercise. I’ll learn not to get the maintenance package in future! I won’t even get through the tyres in my 3 year contract!

Live and learn!

When I took out my 3 year lease at the start of sept, I asked for a break down of the maintenance contract. It included £550 for 4 new tyres. I might need 2 new fronts in 3 years, but not rears. I decided not to pay £28 per month for basiclly an oil service, an inspection service and a brake fluid service within the 3 years

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2019, 01:02 »
Yeah, I didn’t pay enough attention to the small print  :cry:

However, I’m just paying £15 a month maintenance. Long life service is £350 so if need two new tyres before the 3 years is up I would’ve just about broken even. Time to take the traction control off and start doing some wheel spins!

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2019, 08:54 »
Always change the oil every 10k or 12 months

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2019, 09:28 »
Always change the oil every 10k or 12 months
Not on lease cars though. Saves them money and to be honest if you are driving a lease car why bother servicing it every year of you are just going to hand it back.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2019, 10:23 »
Yeah, I didn’t pay enough attention to the small print  :cry:

However, I’m just paying £15 a month maintenance. Long life service is £350 so if need two new tyres before the 3 years is up I would’ve just about broken even. Time to take the traction control off and start doing some wheel spins!

£15 a month is a good deal, might have been tepted at that price   :cool:

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2019, 17:12 »
I went through select car leasing. Think I got a cracking deal. Standard 5 door GTI, manual.  Only option I went for was the white silver paint. £235 a month plus £15 a month maintenance.

From what I can see now, same deal at least £300 plus.  :smiley: