Author Topic: Apple Car Play interface - woeful  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Apple Car Play interface - woeful
« on: 04 January 2019, 07:40 »
Below is just my observations really (and a bit of a rant).

As a user of an Android (personal) and an iPhone (business) mobile telephones, I have access in the car to both Apple Car play (ACP) and Android Auto (AA). As my Iphone is usually in my laptop bag in the boot of the car, I usually (for the past few years) tend to use my Galaxy S9 via Android Auto to play either Spotify or Tune in Radio in the car.

Well, as last night I'd found the iPhone cable from VW that was supplied with the car back in May last year, I thought for the first time I'd give Apple car play a try. Whilst from a functionality and speed point of view it seems a wash between both technologies (i.e. ACP and AA), I was amazed at the different approaches both took to the actual visual interface. On AA (especially with the latest update), it looks very polished and well laid out with cover art and fonts big enough to read at a glance, but not too large. However on ACP, it looks like the interface was designed by a 4 year old. There's no cover art to speak off (the background is so blurred as to not even be worthwhile), and the fonts massive.

Now I know that these systems are designed to be as safe as possible and to be used whilst on the move, so therefore have to be as simple and easy to read as possible, in my humble option Apple have taken this to extremes and the interface needs a serious work over. AA shows that an interface can be simple and easy to read but elegant at the same time. Anyone else think the same. I take it due to Apple's strict ring fencing, it's not possible to re-skin or modify ACP's interface ?

As an example, here's TuneIn Radio this morning on both systems. Think from now on I'll be sticking with AA.

Apple Car Play

Android Auto
« Last Edit: 04 January 2019, 07:42 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
Re: Apple Car Play interface - woeful
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2019, 09:04 »
Agreed, I hate having the cover art blurry and in the background on Apple Car play. Absolutely pointless.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2019, 12:24 »
I far prefer ACP, it's less fussy and the buttons are far more prominent.   :whistle:
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2019, 12:34 »
I far prefer ACP, it's less fussy and the buttons are far more prominent.   :whistle:
This. ACP is designed for function, not aesthetics. The functionally & usability is like most Apple things, easy & intutive with simple buttons and things that don't distract.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2019, 12:56 »
This. ACP is designed for function, not aesthetics. The functionally & usability is like most Apple things, easy & intutive with simple buttons and things that don't distract.

As an ACP user, unsurprisingly, I agree. The interface is highly functional and I’m not interested in looking at album art when I’m driving a car, simply accessing the features necessary with the minimum of distraction and the greatest of ease. I haven’t used AA but ACP works exactly as you’d want an in-car system to with the emphasis on functionality not all singing, all dancing graphic which really isn’t what it’s about, for me anyway.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2019, 14:41 »
ACP for me also, I only use Spotify and Waze. Waze much clearer map with an iPhone than my previous android. Directions terrific and voice not as robotic as alternatives.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2019, 19:04 »
Have VW made CarPlay wireless yet? For me that was it’s biggest weakness / pain in the neck. Having to plug in the USB cable in order for it to work. I just couldn’t be bothered a lot of the time. It also disabled all the bluetooth features and the steering wheel buttons barring volume up/down were rendered useless.

Having experienced it in a different car (bmw) in recent times, I can see it can be done so much better:
- wirelsss (don’t even take phone out of pocket)
- bluetooth still works (so for example a 2nd phone connection will work simultaneously)
- much better integration with native system, e.g. steering wheel buttons function with CarPlay.

Hopefully VW improve this integration in future models.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2019, 19:18 »
No Joe. I think maybe the latest TV adverts from Vw suggest that some new vehicles (not golf's) have a newer version of mib though... Native text to speech for example.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC