Author Topic: How To: Convert Mk5 Golf Front End to GTI, GT or Jetta  (Read 45312 times)

Offline Chris25989

• Just got here
Re: How To: Convert Mk5 Golf Front End to GTI, GT or Jetta
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2011, 00:43 »
Hi ,

I'm wondering i have just bought a 2006 golf gt tdi and it's got the standard front bumper and grill on , I'm going to facelift the car but in your detailed walk through it doesn't really explain this whole carrier thing properly and i dont understand if i would need to buy this with me already having the GT car and not a standard model golf ?

Would i need to buy the carrier ? Also where does the carrier sit and what does it need to be changed for ?

Your walk through is very good and i'm going to use it as a guide its just what i was looking for lol

Hope you can help , Cheers  :wink:

Offline mortygt140

• Here all the time
Re: How To: Convert Mk5 Golf Front End to GTI, GT or Jetta
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2011, 22:33 »
Chris the carrier is the bit that holds all the lights and bumper and rads on the front of the car, you can see it when you lift the bonnet up some people call it the slam panel but its a massive piece of plastic with metal reinforcement.

You need to change it because the original doesn't accommodate the tow eye when the GTI/GT/R32 bumper is fitted, also the GTI/GT bumper is a different shape around the middle where the bigger top grille is.

If you have the original GT bumper with the small top grille and large round shaped foglights then you need to change the carrier.

Darren