Author Topic: Big hole under rear bumper  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Big hole under rear bumper
« on: 16 May 2018, 08:05 »
Has anyone noticed on the MK7.5 performance models (well certainly the GTI), that right in the centre of the rear bumper lower diffuser (just ahead of the honeycomb section), if you look upwards from below there is a big rectangular hole looking straight into the rear bumper mounting hardware ?

I can only assume it's the hole for the optional factory install tow bar to pop out of, but when you don't have one, it just leave this big gaping hole for dirt and crud to be sucked into. Does anyone know if VW (or anyone) make a blank plate to fit to cure my OCD ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Big hole under rear bumper
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2018, 08:26 »
From sootchucker to mucksucker.  :smiley:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2018, 08:32 »
 ;D ;D ;D ...haha very good.........
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2018, 08:53 »
The estates have had this always & on all models...(except R)...VWUK got RGM to make two different sized panel covers..I did a post on MK7 forum years ago..

linky here with all info..
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6471

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2018, 09:00 »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline cosmicremedy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2018, 09:13 »
I noticed this on mine and would love to find a cover for the opening.

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2018, 09:40 »
I noticed this on mine and would love to find a cover for the opening.

look at my post two up...measure the size of your hole & see if the ones for the estate fit...

& complain to VWUK...& point these facts out...& that it does not state that your car will come with a big hole in rear bumper...I raised merry hell with VWUK re this on the phone & even the dealer didn't know about it (this was oct 2014)...got the cover free...

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2018, 20:35 »
Has anyone noticed on the MK7.5 performance models (well certainly the GTI), that right in the centre of the rear bumper lower diffuser (just ahead of the honeycomb section), if you look upwards from below there is a big rectangular hole looking straight into the rear bumper mounting hardware ?

I can only assume it's the hole for the optional factory install tow bar to pop out of, but when you don't have one, it just leave this big gaping hole for dirt and crud to be sucked into. Does anyone know if VW (or anyone) make a blank plate to fit to cure my OCD ?

I noticed this and always meant to ask and find out, usually remember each time I wash the car and the mitt disappears in it!

Good bit of info though peeps, will be looking into this.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2018, 21:01 »
Never noticed before but I looked and it's like that on my 7.5 gtd too
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC