Author Topic: Golf GTD 7 overheating  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Badluck

• Not said much yet
Golf GTD 7 overheating
« on: 15 May 2018, 12:15 »
Hi guys, any advice on this appreciated.

Driving back from work yesterday and 25 mins into the journey message appeared on the instrument cluster 'Engine Overheating - Turn off engine'. Looked at the temperature gauge and it was right the way over towards the red. Pulled off the dual-carriageway straightaway and parked up as safely as possible on the slip road. The fans were cooling the engine down. Checked the coolant and oil levels and both were good. Moved to a safe place off the slip road when the car had cooled. RAC came out and checked the car over for an hour and couldn't find any faults or errors. RAC followed me for about 20 mins to the motorway and temperature was steady at 90c. No issues for the next 80 miles on the motorway. Drove it again in the evening and no issues.

I've called up the local dealer and they want £60 to check the car (car has warranty till Thursday). Will the VW diagnostic equipment be any different to what the RAC use? I mean is it likely to detect the error that flagged up about the overheating? My concern is I'll be hit with the £60 bill and told they couldn't find a fault.

I'm no expert but it seems like the thermostat didn't open. Cars done 55k. Any suggestions appreciated.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 12:17 by Badluck »

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
Re: Golf GTD 7 overheating
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2018, 13:03 »
Very strange, my thoughts are the same as you...the thermostat.
Either buy one ready or get it changed now
2016 GTD

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2018, 13:21 »
Well if warranty runs till Thursday (as in day after tmrw?) put it in their yard.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline j033y

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2018, 14:10 »
Mine did exactly that about two years ago when it was on 30,000 miles.

It overheated on the motorway, pulled over, called RAC, by the time the RAC had arrived it had cooled down, and they could not get it to overheat again.

The only difference is mine did it again on the way to the garage, it would only over heat under load.

Anyway, turned out to be the good old plastic water pump, was replaced for a metal one.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2018, 15:02 »
Why are VW charging £60 to investigate a fault on a car that is still under warranty?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2018, 16:55 »
What normally happens if no fault found they will charge. If a fault is found and it's under warranty, then they can put a claim in with VWUK and claim it back from them, at no cost to owner.

It's annoying but understandable, if they were constantly checking cars and finding no fault, it would eat up all their workshop time.

Why are VW charging £60 to investigate a fault on a car that is still under warranty?
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2018, 17:19 »
What normally happens if no fault found they will charge. If a fault is found and it's under warranty, then they can put a claim in with VWUK and claim it back from them, at no cost to owner.

It's annoying but understandable, if they were constantly checking cars and finding no fault, it would eat up all their workshop time.

Thanks for explaining. Can't agree with the principal though. Especially if there is a fault but they can't work it out. Why should the customer pay for their inability to locate an issue when under warranty? Progress for you no doubt :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2018, 17:29 »
Possibly a transient fault (loose connection on something) but more likely the thermostat about to fully fail or the impeller on the water pump.

My guess is that whilst they'll see the fault in the error log, they won't be able to reproduce the problem and you'll owe them 60 quid.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2018, 08:25 »
If all those lights came up then there should be tracwable fault codes flagged. If they can see fault codes then you have probable cause to bring it in and so shouldn't be charged. That and who calls out a breakdown service for a non-fault?

Your dealership is taking the piss, try one from a different group.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2018, 08:58 »
How many dealers though would fix something which had a pile of errors in a log from a week ago but no sign of it doing it right now?

Yesterday morning I had AFS errors spring up - cornering and headlights reported as faulty. When I checked, yes, I had no headlights when I tried to manually turn them on.

Coming back to the car in the evening, everything working fine.

I get ACC errors too a few times too. Once again, transient fault, nothing to see afterwards.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC