Author Topic: Newbie looking for advise  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Davers1

• Just got here
Re: Newbie looking for advise
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2018, 11:23 »
https://ibb.co/h75ikd

https://ibb.co/jBmTJy

Hope that works ..

Am I been too harsh in saying in looks terrible?
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 11:26 by Davers1 »

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2018, 11:36 »
I wouldn't say it looks terrible, but it's clearly base spec. A set of decent wheels and a clean up and it would look alright but then you're also stuck with the very poor halogen headlights.

I'd save a few more quid personally.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2018, 11:39 »
I don't think it looks terrible, although it could do with a little tlc. I think that changing the wheels to either austins or bresicas would help no end. I guess it depends upon how much its going for, as you may have enough left over to spruce it up a little.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Davers1

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2018, 11:48 »
That’s what I was hoping to put the bigger wheels and tint the rear glass ...!
And that might take the basic look off it !

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2018, 12:09 »
I think the halogen headlights would be the most off-putting thing for me. They look really naff and cheap. Also note they don't have the distinctive red stripe. Fitting genuine xenons and all the bits that go with them to make them legal is costly and a lot of work.

Offline Davers1

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2018, 12:38 »
Thanks joe I tried to message you privately but don’t think I can...
What do you think the car is worth ?
Will such a low spec hurt my resale down the line ?
It’s for sale for ages and hasn’t shifted ..
It’s 2013 , 45k kilom .

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2018, 12:55 »
Thanks joe I tried to message you privately but don’t think I can...
What do you think the car is worth ?
Will such a low spec hurt my resale down the line ?
It’s for sale for ages and hasn’t shifted ..
It’s 2013 , 45k kilom .

Is it with a dealer? The mileage sounds quite low. But the spec (or lack of) hurts it. Always amazes me too that dealers can't be bothered cleaning a car up and presenting it properly for sale.

I'd hazard a guess at 16-17 k.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2018, 13:25 »
I've done this in the past many years ago. Bought a "poverty" spec car as it was at a good price (a Focus)  then almost immediately wished I'd waited and spent more on the version I actually wanted. The car became a money pit as I started adding the missing bit's of spec. True I ended up with a car that looked almost undetectable from the one I wanted, but at a horrible cost. Coupled that with the fact that I could only find a few insurers who would cover the car meant I never did it again. When I came to sell it, I lost a shed load the money I'd spent on it. After all, if an LX spec car looks like a Ghia spec, it's still an LX and that's typically what it's worth come resale.

I agree with the others here, wait until you find the car with the spec you really want even if it means pushing the budget just a little further. You'll save money in the end.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2018, 13:31 »
100% agree with Sooty - I did this in my yoof - took a basic spec and loaded it up with the bits. Insurance became a nightmare and when I wrote it off I basically lost every penny I spent on it.

Would have been cheaper to have bought the spec I wanted.

In particular with this one, I'd be looking for Xenons (virtually impossible to retrofit) and 18's (easily done) but also if the 2013 irish spec is minus climate control (I'd say zero chance of getting that retro fitted and fitted/working properly).... well... definitely pass. My guess even if you could add those things would be to add about 4000 quid...  which you'd never get back!

If nothing else, trying to shift it on later will be as much of a nightmare as this dealer is having now.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2018, 14:45 »
For me a used car is condition first and anything else a poor second.
If the thing is in fantastic condition and at a good price it makes a good case for itself if you have time and inclination for a project.
Back in the mk4 and mk5/6 days the spec was poor and you'd be lucky to find a very good condition one at a sensible price with loads of extras.
The UK spec mk5 & mk6 Golfs came with a certain spec as standard like climate control which meant it was relatively easy to add most other things except Xenons.
The mk7 is a different kettle of fish. Nav units are protected, xenons are a nightmare to retrofit and parking sensors also require a bit of a faff with drilling holes.

You've got to consider what is important to you in the long run and what you can live without.
If the car is good and the price is good then you might want to make compromises.
But if the car isn't in pristine condition then you'd be better off waiting for something better. You would thank yourself for that in the long run.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner