Author Topic: Moving from a TDI to a GTI - at last!  (Read 6735 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Moving from a TDI to a GTI - at last!
« Reply #20 on: 13 May 2018, 08:46 »
You need to drive it differently to a gtd to get the low end torque. Instead of just flooring the accelerator you need to change down a gear or two.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #21 on: 13 May 2018, 09:13 »
Getting excited now. Picking it up next Saturday from Norfolk which is about 90 miles away. Going to get a train up and enjoy the drive home.

Still have the TDI sitting at home waiting for the inspection. Don't know why I'm nervous about that, I've looked after that car so shouldn't have much to worry about other than the extended mileage.

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 13 May 2018, 10:49 »
Just couldn`t let my GTD go
2016 GTD

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2018, 14:01 »
You need to drive it differently to a gtd to get the low end torque. Instead of just flooring the accelerator you need to change down a gear or two.

Yeah it’s been over 10 years since I had a petrol so I’m getting used to it  :evil:

It’s an amazing thing to drive with no front end weight like the GTD had so it corners so mutch better.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 19:17 by carlt69 »
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2018, 08:27 »
Carl that last line has made me all the more eager to get into my new car this weekend!

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2018, 20:09 »
Carl that last line has made me all the more eager to get into my new car this weekend!

You won’t regret it, I haven’t  :grin:

I even got 43mpg out of mine this morning on a 44 mile round trip, although the traffic was sat at 50mph at the most.

MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2018, 08:18 »
Out of interest, does the GTI economy get a little better as the miles grow ?

Whilst I obviously didn't buy the car to get GTD economy levels (nor will it ever), one thing I've noticed is that even if driven sedately it seems to take an age to get past the 30 mpg mark. On a run home from work the other day (around 17 miles), warm temperatures, fairly busy motorway so around 55-60 mph average, in my GTD I would typically get anywhere between 57-62 mpg, whereas in the GTI (with minimal hold ups), I just about broke 40 mpg (which in itself I know is an engineering feat for a 230ps petrol engine with an automatic box), and that was driving like a granny at around 50-60mph, but was wondering if this would improve slightly as the miles went on. Currently I have less than 200 miles on the clock, so very much not run in yet, and I've tried both normal and Eco modes (very similar to each other).

My GTD's I noticed seemed to get much better beyond around 1000-2000 miles and upwards (delivering their best consistent MPG's around the 8k miles upwards). Didn't know if modern TFSI engines were also quite tight and running some sort of mild "running in map" like the diesel engines.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it's a beautiful drive and the MPG is probably the one and only sacrifice I knew I would be giving up swapping to a GTI, and don't regret it for a second, just wondering.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2018, 16:37 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2018, 14:05 »
Sounds to me you're not far off what I would expect from mine. From what I recall in previous threads, there seemed to be about a 5mpg discrepancy in favour of a manual. On the run you describe, I'd expect about 45 generally with 50 possible but only in exceptional circumstances (exceptionally tedious).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline maxwell90

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2018, 15:23 »
I’m doing 2 x 170 mile motorway journeys per week in a 7.5 gti pp manual. On 9000 miles and returning 44mpg on my commute @70mph on quiet motorways using momentum fuel. 440 Miles per tank!

Though weekends only sees 25mpg!

Still can’t complain!
Arrived 25/09/17 Issac blue 3dr GTI PP, Manual, Sunroof, 90% tints, Dynaudio.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2018, 17:54 »
Momentum does seem to improve mpg. At 7K miles my PP Dsg averages around 35/36 in general driving. Just run on supermarket unleaded it was closed to 33 average, tho' warmer weather may have helped a bit too.
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.