Author Topic: Strong Boot Gas Rams / Hatch Pop  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Tethias

• Not said much yet
Strong Boot Gas Rams / Hatch Pop
« on: 20 March 2018, 09:18 »
Hi Guys,

Looking at the possibility of replacing the gas rams on my Mk7.5 boot lid so that it opens fully when you press the "boot open" button on the key, rather than just unlocking and slightly popping the boot.

I have a friend with a 2016 Seat Leon FR (which i believe is very similar to the Mk7 golf?) and he has retrofitted Skoda Octavia gas rams to his which had done the job (these - http://www.bandel-online.de/gasfedern/stabilus_017468_lift-o-mat_gasfeder_heckklappe_skoda_octavia_1u2_i31_44867_0.htm)

Has anyone on here done something similar or had any experience with it?

I know you can buy "Hatch Pop" kits from the USA, but they are about $90-$120 + shipping and seem to have a lot of issues with being too strong etc.

I think the Skoda ones just have more oompf as the Octavia has a heavier boot lid, but im not sure if they are compatible with the Mk7.5 golf...

Any thoughts or experience would be great, thanks  :laugh:

Offline AndyG

• Here all the time
Re: Strong Boot Gas Rams / Hatch Pop
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2018, 18:14 »
I did it on my mk6 but wouldn't bother again.It makes it alot harder to shut the boot lid when open and to be honest when I got my mk7 it felt great shutting the hatch again without any effort.When it's really cold they struggle to open as well.
I used the skoda ones and swapped one of the stoppers for one that was spring loaded,I got it from Seat if I remember right.
Golf 7R,DSG,5 door White,leather,rear camera.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Strong Boot Gas Rams / Hatch Pop
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2018, 18:25 »
For that price I'd be willing to give them a try if I was sure about compatibility. If it was done on the Leon it means it's probably going to be ok for the Golf as well. Let's see how much money is left this month from the "silly car stuff" budget...