Author Topic: instrument cluster display issue  (Read 2203 times)

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
instrument cluster display issue
« on: 18 March 2018, 18:42 »
I find the fuel guage hard to read, so have used driver preference to set up the driving data display to show the range display between the rev and speed circles. I can then see at a glance how far I can travel on the remaining fuel.

But every time I use the navigation (map on infotainment system) the range display is replaced by a silly compass (as if it really helps find a destination by knowing if I'm driving N or NE!).

The compass also stays there after I reach my destination, or if I switch off navigation.

What's more, next time I switch on the ignition, the compass returns and I have to re-set my drive preference for range display - this works until until I use navigation again.

Any way round this?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: instrument cluster display issue
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2018, 07:48 »
The compass comes up when you have it set to show navigation data in the MFD but no route guidance is active.

If route guidance is active, you'll get distance to next turn, lane guidance etc.

I think it automatically selects the nav mode on the mfd when you start route guidance.

Just use the right hand rocker switch on the steering wheel to set it back to driving data - its a couple of presses one way or the other. Easy.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2018, 12:17 »
The compass comes up when you have it set to show navigation data in the MFD but no route guidance is active.

If route guidance is active, you'll get distance to next turn, lane guidance etc.

I think it automatically selects the nav mode on the mfd when you start route guidance.

Just use the right hand rocker switch on the steering wheel to set it back to driving data - its a couple of presses one way or the other. Easy.
Hmm. I never get distance to next turn, lane guidance etc. just the compass.

Yes it seems to auto select nav mode when you start route guidance. That's my objecion as
a) it adds nothing so I don't want it and
b) it doesn't re-set itself

I agree it's just a few clicks on the rocker - it's just annoying to have to keep doing that. You'd think a sophisticated computer could remmber preferences!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2018, 12:34 »
If you have the standard nav then it's a choice of whether maps/route guidance are shown on the MIB or the AID.

You can have maps showing in the AID with the mileage range and mpg showing inside the speedo and rev clocks instead of between them. This is how I've set mine.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2018, 12:46 »
Ahhh you mean on a 7.5 with AID...

I've got NavPro, so I don't know what happens with the basic nav, but I get the map in between the clocks, I assume you just get a compass.

It automatically selects that view when you activate navigation (with an active route).

If you want the direction arrows and lane guidance, you need to set the "view" mode (ie what is on the clocks) to "Navigation" then you get the arrows in the right hand clock.

Once of the other views shows the range in the clocks... personally, I've stopped worrying about the fuel gauge being hard to read on the go - when you get down to 50 miles remaining it displays the remaining range instead of the "needle" anyway.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC