Author Topic: 18" Prets on a GTI?  (Read 5341 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: 18" Prets on a GTI?
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2018, 16:52 »
Nice and light too those Borbets! About a grand for a set...

What do insurers say about changing wheels? If you had VW ones they might not notice...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2018, 17:30 »
Nice and light too those Borbets! About a grand for a set...

What do insurers say about changing wheels? If you had VW ones they might not notice...

Insurers approach to changing wheels may vary from one insurer to another. You’ll almost certainly find something in the small print of your insurance policy that states it’s a requirement of your insurer that they are told of any modification, so that would include changing the wheels fitted to your car when it was built to an alternative set (VW wheels or otherwise).

The general subject of modifications and insurance IMO is a bit of a can of worms. From what I’ve read on some forums, some insurers even consider factory fitted options to be modifications and need to know what each of the options are. Others don’t need to be told of factory fitted options (My insurer doesn’t) and only need to know of anything that changes the spec that the car left the factory with. It must be quite difficult if someone doesn’t know whether their car is standard or not (e.g. if they bought it used and didn’t spec it themselves); what do they declare to their insurer?

I’ve changed the wheels on my last two cars - both times for VW wheels and I informed my insurer each time. They wanted to know the value of the wheels and confirmation I had locking wheel bolts fitted. It’s noted on my policy record that I have non factory fit wheels as a modification.

I would say it’s best to always notify your insurer of any changes. Worse case scenario; not telling them could invalidate your insurance, which could technically mean you are uninsured (a criminal offence!).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 19 March 2018, 12:12 »
Cheers all, yes was looking at gloss black ones. Just not sure if they will look too small. I know they are the same size as my current ones but I've only seen 19s in Prets. The pics on the first reply do make them look a bit small but that GTI also seems to be sitting quite high?
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 19 March 2018, 12:24 »
I think they'll look fine, especially in black. 

The German VW configurator used to allow you to spec these, not sure if it still does. Thst would give you an idea of how it would look.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline o`Neil

• GTI forum regular

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2018, 13:42 »
I actually think they look better in black. The silver is a little too bright and plain looking (to my eyes anyway).
7.5 GTD