Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 7200 times)

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2018, 20:24 »
My mk5 did similar mileage to your car, and after 10 years it was still faultless. Besides any odd repair it may need would be dwarfed by the depreciation you are avoiding in renewing the car.

From what you are saying, I can’t really see why you are thinking of changing the golf, other than for a fun reason to burn through some cash.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2018, 18:10 »
Does the sh!troen have GAP insurance?

I've got a can of petrol :laugh:

Oh yes it has RTI GAP insurance. I just knew it would have rubbish residuals even when I ordered it so if anything ever happened to it I did not want to accept just a few £££..but actually I really do love its quirky interior and those Airbumps - which means I can park it next to a SUV and not worry about the panels - and the fact it is worth next to nothing and I can use it to transport all kinds of rubbish...

So I have no intention of torching it...so please use your kind offer of accelerant to have fun in your own car!
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2018, 18:27 »
From what you are saying, I can’t really see why you are thinking of changing the golf, other than for a fun reason to burn through some cash.

Oh dear. I think you are so right! It does makes so such sense to keep my car for a while.

My mid-life crisis Porsche was bought nearly 20 years ago...but burning money on new cars has been a bit of a lifestyle choice for me for the past 30 years or so.

I shall now endeavour to forsake the evil dark web of car manufacturers websites and browse old age homes and care for the elderly.

GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2018, 20:46 »

Oh yes it has RTI GAP insurance. I just knew it would have rubbish residuals even when I ordered it so if anything ever happened to it I did not want to accept just a few £££..but actually I really do love its quirky interior and those Airbumps - which means I can park it next to a SUV and not worry about the panels - and the fact it is worth next to nothing and I can use it to transport all kinds of rubbish...

So I have no intention of torching it...so please use your kind offer of accelerant to have fun in your own car!

f**k me it was a JOKE! Some people :rolleyes:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2018, 22:22 »

Oh dear. I think you are so right! It does makes so such sense to keep my car for a while.

My mid-life crisis Porsche was bought nearly 20 years ago...but burning money on new cars has been a bit of a lifestyle choice for me for the past 30 years or so.

I shall now endeavour to forsake the evil dark web of car manufacturers websites and browse old age homes and care for the elderly.

Happy to assist further by looking after your £40k...
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 31 January 2018, 22:29 »

Sorry jokes not allowed on this forum. Will always be taken the wrong way.

Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2018, 08:38 »

Sorry jokes not allowed on this forum. Will always be taken the wrong way.

You're not wrong there.  :rolleyes:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2018, 10:20 »
Sell the Citroen, keep the Golf, save the money for a Mk8 GTi in a couple of years.

Great advice!

2nd that advice although burning the sh!tron would be a close second choice for me.
:grin: Having owned a sh!tron in the past i can second this.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Little Lofty

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2018, 12:46 »
Buy a slightly used 400 PS RS3, they are now available for £40k, you'll still have to stump up the extra VED but you'll have lots of fun.
Alfa Four Cheese

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 01 February 2018, 13:56 »
Moro, I am late to this thread but understand your desire - I upgraded my M7 GTi to a M7 R (with NO regrets) and am rapidly approaching 70.  The R is a great car, have you considered looking for a demonstrator with the extras you want - many dealer managers have high spec cars for 3 months.  That approach would eliminate the extra VED.

Running 2 cars has 2 x VED and 2 x Insurance so even a new 40K+ R might not cost you any more overall.
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,