Author Topic: Removing balance weight sticky pads  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Removing balance weight sticky pads
« on: 29 December 2017, 19:27 »
When I had my new tyres fitted I was left with the remnants of the old weights' sticky pads on the barrels. But they are right bu@@ers to remove :angry: Just getting the bulk off to leave the final layer is difficult enough but the last really sticky bit just doesn't want to let go. I've managed one set so far (not even a whole wheel) and even that is not fully cleaned away. I also ended up removing a small bit of paint :rolleyes: though not sure whether that came off with the last bit of pad or if it was the wooden implement which I tried in desperation. Even liberal soakings of Tardis didn't make it any easier. Any good suggestions before I end up stripping the wheels of any remaining paint? Thanks :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Removing balance weight sticky pads
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2017, 19:31 »
I found that once you’ve got the main bulk off, for the last bits, repeated going over with tar/glue remover (Tardis) worked well until the last bits are all dissolved.  Saturating with glue remover then very gently agitating but not scrubbing away at it, worked for me. Do not be tempted to use anything sharp on it.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 19:33 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2017, 19:39 »
Thanks, pretty much as I thought then, perseverence. I might wait for warmer weather and just concentrate on one wheel/patch at a time. Cheers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2017, 20:33 »
The best way I find is some gentle heat, heat gun or hairdryer will work just fine get the adhesive nice and hot and then leave for a moment (or you'll burn your fingers!) or wear gloves and rub the residue away gently with your fingers/thumb finish up and clean the area with some tar & glue remover or solvent based wipe down, or a bit of wheel cleaner would work just fine!

Sorted!
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2017, 21:09 »
Thanks Gaz, I shall get my OH's hairdryer on it, good idea! :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2017, 00:14 »
I have always used tar spot remover. Take your time and it will come away.
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA