Author Topic: What are your .:Rs like in the snow?  (Read 15677 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: What are your .:Rs like in the snow?
« Reply #40 on: 13 December 2017, 17:03 »
Would want to see the Michelin Alpin tyres that could not make it up a hill that you could get up with 4WD and summer tyres. Bet they were worn to significantly below 4mm or the driver was just as thick as Jeremy Clarkson.
PMSL  :grin:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline golfdave

• Here all the time
« Reply #41 on: 13 December 2017, 17:22 »
Sorry AWD works ALL year round for 100% of owners, winter tyres for most of us maybe the odd day or two a year, factor in cost and storage and basically they are a luxury. Of course, winter tyres are a supplement mainly for 2WD and not required for most folks with AWD.

If that's the case then why was I able in a 13yr old Skoda Fabia 1.4lt on Michelin Alpin A3 winter tyres to cruise past at 50mph, loads of Range Rovers & other assorted 4x4 SUVs etc all on summers struggling to do more than 25-30mph as their electronic systems & 4wd & AWD systems struggled to find grip on 60mph & 70mph roads in winter up here on numerous occasions??

I think you'll find that snipes for better grip on ice & more silica in the rubber to stop it hardening at low temps play a huge part in it...

If you think you are still 100% ok in your "R" on summers feel free to come up here & play on our roads in the snow & mainly ice......I'll have the RAC/AA on speed dial to dig you out of the scenery... :grin:

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 13 December 2017, 17:39 »
Michelin alpine's
Were they badly worn?

There are plenty of videos on youtube showing that winter tyres beats 4 wheel drive and summer tyres everytime.

Bought new the beginning of November.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 13 December 2017, 17:46 »
winter tyres for most of us maybe the odd day or two a year, factor in cost and storage and basically they are a luxury.

They needn't cost anything at all. Yes there is the initial purchase price, but for the 3-4 months you'd have them fitted, you are not suffering accelerated wear, in fact no wear at all, on your 'summer' tyres. Fit them on a set of second hand wheels that you can sell and get your money back when you change your car and they make perfect financial sense.

They are not just for snow. The difference on cold, slimey, leaf mulch covered roads is very noticeable. They will also come into there own with the sludge that's left on the roads from whatever they add to the salt these days.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 13 December 2017, 17:52 »
Would want to see the Michelin Alpin tyres that could not make it up a hill that you could get up with 4WD and summer tyres. Bet they were worn to significantly below 4mm or the driver was just as thick as Jeremy Clarkson.
PMSL  :grin:

Don't you think that considering it was the same person driving both cars that if he was(as you put it) as thick as Jeremy Clarkson how would he be able to drive the Audi 80 up the hill.

Ironic that you call Clarkson 'thick'

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #45 on: 13 December 2017, 17:52 »
Sorry AWD works ALL year round for 100% of owners, winter tyres for most of us maybe the odd day or two a year, factor in cost and storage and basically they are a luxury. Of course, winter tyres are a supplement mainly for 2WD and not required for most folks with AWD.
OP asked does R work in the snow, as in better than FWD answer is yes. DSG in E and soften the pedal box from sport, and ever so gentle on the long pedal (just like swiss Tony would treat a beautiful woman) :cool: We're not talking Kielder forest here! Or are we?
You do know that in Germany, where your car was manufactured, there is a legal requirement to fit winter tyres. There is no legal requirement to have 4WD.

A few years ago, I was in Munich with my wife for the Christmas markets. As it was -20C they don't even bother gritting the roads as it would freeze anyway. So the roads were all covered in ice. Yet there were lots of rear wheel drive BMWs and Mercedes cars driving about no problem. So there goes the myth that rear wheel drive is useless on snow and ice. The other myth is that 4WD is safer in the winter.

Now, I know you don't believe me. So google, "4 wheel drive myths".

I have yet to see any article or video that shows 4WD is safer than winter tyres. Surely there must be some evidence on the internet somewhere? (don't bother looking you won't find any)

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 13 December 2017, 17:58 »
OP asked does R work in the snow, as in better than FWD answer is yes. DSG in E and soften the pedal box from sport, and ever so gentle on the long pedal (just like swiss Tony would treat a beautiful woman) :cool: We're not talking Kielder forest here! Or are we?
You do know that in Germany, where your car was manufactured, there is a legal requirement to fit winter tyres. There is no legal requirement to have 4WD.

A few years ago, I was in Munich with my wife for the Christmas markets. As it was -20C they don't even bother gritting the roads as it would freeze anyway. So the roads were all covered in ice. Yet there were lots of rear wheel drive BMWs and Mercedes cars driving about no problem. So there goes the myth that rear wheel drive is useless on snow and ice. The other myth is that 4WD is safer in the winter.

Now, I know you don't believe me. So google, "4 wheel drive myths".

I have yet to see any article or video that shows 4WD is safer than winter tyres. Surely there must be some evidence on the internet somewhere? (don't bother looking you won't find any)

But you're never wrong, how could anyone ever doubt you :rolleyes:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #47 on: 13 December 2017, 18:16 »
I ran winters on my old FWD A3 and never got stuck. They were a bit of a mix and match as I bought them 2nd hand but they were excellent from when the temps started dropping and in very wet / slushy conditions. When we had deep snow a few years ago I drove round everything from Disco’s to X5’s etc who were running summer tyres

Since owning the A6 this is the first time I’ve had a chance to play in the snow.  Its running 19’s and Goodyear Assy 3’s and it hasn’t got stuck. The way it just gets you going is simply impressive  :cool:

I’ll let you decide which one I’d pick when it comes to doing the important stuff like cornering and braking  :wink:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #48 on: 13 December 2017, 18:46 »

Don't you think that considering it was the same person driving both cars that if he was(as you put it) as thick as Jeremy Clarkson how would he be able to drive the Audi 80 up the hill.

Probably went too much on throttle on the FWD and having lower powered Audi with 4WD and more sensible right foot.

Clarkson is a little bit thick, as in shouting 'power' very loudly and putting his foot down heavy when a more gentle approach makes more sense (and results in movement and not just spinning wheels) :D 
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 13 December 2017, 20:06 »

Probably went too much on throttle on the FWD and having lower powered Audi with 4WD and more sensible right foot.

Clarkson is a little bit thick, as in shouting 'power' very loudly and putting his foot down heavy when a more gentle approach makes more sense (and results in movement and not just spinning wheels) :D

Probably not as their Audi 80 is the V6 model with more power than their A4