Author Topic: Review of technology in our car!  (Read 5788 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Review of technology in our car!
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2017, 11:52 »
Sounds like either its faulty or you've not figured out how to use it. Either way, pop back to the dealer and check both things.

The system works flawlessly apart from those two known issues...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2017, 12:45 »
The thing I've noticed regarding the auto handbrake (I've got a manual gearbox) is that if I don't use enough accelerator pedal (IE, just the tiniest bit to stop the revs dropping when I bring the clutch up) it doesn't always release. I'm guessing, but it might be some sort of safety thing that it needs quite a positive input to release the handbrake.

Might be worth trying it with different amounts of 'vigor'. Admittedly I don't know how this would transfer over to a DSG (both testing and how much gas you need to give it) but may be worth a try?

With DSG, you just need the lightest of taps on the throttle pedal to release the Auto Hold, then if the gradient is suitable, the car will creep just like a torque convertor automatic.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2017, 13:04 »
hi all, it looks like i've waisted your time guys SORRY. the reason i say this is because i use a a hand brake (see pic) and although i'm not actually pushing on it when pulling away, i do have a hold of it thus the brake sensor sometimes thinks that i'm braking i think. sorry for waisting your time and to the OP for hijacking his post :)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2017, 13:35 »
The thing I've noticed regarding the auto handbrake (I've got a manual gearbox) is that if I don't use enough accelerator pedal (IE, just the tiniest bit to stop the revs dropping when I bring the clutch up) it doesn't always release. I'm guessing, but it might be some sort of safety thing that it needs quite a positive input to release the handbrake.

Might be worth trying it with different amounts of 'vigor'. Admittedly I don't know how this would transfer over to a DSG (both testing and how much gas you need to give it) but may be worth a try?

That's the way it was in my old CC and I much preferred it that way. In my Golf even if I'm on an upward hill and I don't touch the accelerator the autohold will release with the slightest movement of the clutch and the car will start to roll backwards. Annoyed the hell out of me at first but I've got used to it now and I don't mind it. In a way it is quite handy in heavy traffic on the flat because all I have to do is release the clutch a bit to move the car along.

There is a way to change it to a stronger bite point with OBDeleven to the way it was in my CC and in your Golf.

Btw have you ordered your OBDeleven yet?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2017, 13:51 »

With DSG, you just need the lightest of taps on the throttle pedal to release the Auto Hold, then if the gradient is suitable, the car will creep just like a torque convertor automatic.

We might be talking about slightly different things here - I'm focusing on the Auto Handbrake, not Auto Hold which (I think) work very slightly differently. Does it seem different if the handbrake is on rather than the auto hold? My Auto hold on the foot brake needs way less encouragement than my auto handbrake to release.

Maxie - I don't think you're wasting peoples time, hopefully we can help.

William - not got it yet, probably the new year now anyway as I'm away January-May so a little wait yet for me. Definitely getting one though.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2017, 15:32 »
Ahhh "hand brake" as in the main brakes you operate with your hand and not your foot yes? An adaption for your disability?

I think that is where the confusion came from :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 06 December 2017, 15:54 »
Ahhh "hand brake" as in the main brakes you operate with your hand and not your foot yes? An adaption for your disability?

I think that is where the confusion came from :D

yeah sorry again it's confusing with them both called hand brake and handbrake :)  but yes i think i've sussed it, the elec handbrake thinks i'm still braking even though i'm not pushing on the dis hand brake. as the sensor for the peddle must be very sensitive, this might bee why my dsg refuses to change gear sometimes too. so not sure what to do as i can't let go of it incase an emergancy breaking situation arises.. i'll figure summut.lol. oh the life of a dissabled driver A..lol :)

Offline andyb_123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 06 December 2017, 21:27 »
The handbrake always comes off automatically when we move off (either backwards or forwards), so to the person whose car doesn't do that, it does sound wrong. (Unless seatbelts not on perhaps?)

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 07 December 2017, 11:56 »
Never realised the ACC works in stop/start traffic. When I activate it and choose the speed it only drops down to 20mph.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 07 December 2017, 12:30 »

We might be talking about slightly different things here - I'm focusing on the Auto Handbrake, not Auto Hold which (I think) work very slightly differently. Does it seem different if the handbrake is on rather than the auto hold? My Auto hold on the foot brake needs way less encouragement than my auto handbrake to release.

Maxie - I don't think you're wasting peoples time, hopefully we can help.

William - not got it yet, probably the new year now anyway as I'm away January-May so a little wait yet for me. Definitely getting one though.

Yeah I'm talking about the authors Graham but I think it is the same for the handbrake. I'll have to check when I'm in the car again but I've only been in the car twice over the last week because I broke my leg last week but I'll check later.

Away from Jan to May, nice little winter/spring break away :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17