Author Topic: steering  (Read 9780 times)

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
steering
« on: 21 November 2017, 16:54 »
hi all, i've a question that i'd like to ask. is there any way to make the steering lighter (permanently) like with the mk5?  the reason i ask is because i'm a disabled driver and i'm finding it a bit too heavy. many thanks

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: steering
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2017, 17:11 »
Hi maxie, what mode do you have the car in? Sport makes the steering heavier so putting it in normal if not already will help. Or Individual where you can have the steering light but the engine in sport. Check the basics too like the tyre pressures are correct and wheel balancing/tracking all good.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2017, 17:26 »
Hi maxie, what mode do you have the car in? Sport makes the steering heavier so putting it in normal if not already will help. Or Individual where you can have the steering light but the engine in sport. Check the basics too like the tyre pressures are correct and wheel balancing/tracking all good.

i have it in indvidual but i have only normal or sport in the options for steering, and the normals too heavy unfortunately.  i've been on to the stealers and they said they can't do it... but they sain that on my mk5 :)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2017, 17:38 »
What mk7 do you have?
Not sure steering has a comfort mode that would make it even lighter... can check on my GTD and also have a look if it can be changed with VCDS if it's not in driving profile selection.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2017, 17:59 »
Found something in steering assist. Felt lighter in Comfort to me (normally have steering set to Sport)....

I'll have another quick look and see if you can maybe unlock it somewhere so you can just choose it in driving profile selection as well.

Strike that - think only way is with VCDS in 44.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 18:16 by itavaltalainen »

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2017, 18:33 »
thanks guys, i have the 7.5 gti pp with the nav pro. when i go into my driver profile it only gives me normal/sport options. i'll try messing more later to try and get in comfort. thanks :)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2017, 18:45 »
thanks guys, i have the 7.5 gti pp with the nav pro. when i go into my driver profile it only gives me normal/sport options. i'll try messing more later to try and get in comfort. thanks :)

What tyre pressure are you running and what tyres have you on it?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2017, 19:01 »
You'll need to change it with VCDS, might also work with VCP or OBD11.
Login with security access shown in first screenshot, then change characteristic from driving profile selection to comfort.

Can do for you if you're near me.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2017, 11:12 »
You'll need to change it with VCDS, might also work with VCP or OBD11.
Login with security access shown in first screenshot, then change characteristic from driving profile selection to comfort.

Can do for you if you're near me.

hiya,  well ive been through all the settings (i think) using the new infotainment system eco/normal etc and all steering modes just give two options normal sport. i'll give vw a ring to see if there should be a comfort option in there too.    thanks for the offer of doing it but you're a bit far from me... i'll push vw to sort it as they knew my limitations etc so fingers crossed. :)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2017, 12:23 »
Its not a setting normally available.... its in the system, but to enable it you need to use VCDS to tweek it. One of many I might add, if you read the VCDS thread you'll see your car is capable of all sorts of subtly different stuff to what it offers you in OEM form.

I've never heard of a VW dealer prepared to make VCDS changes, just warning you...

Might be quicker/cheaper to get OBD11 Pro and make the changes yourself

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC