Author Topic: Are trim panels removed for the 142 point check  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
Re: Are trim panels removed for the 142 point check
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2017, 19:18 »
Nothing to be concerned about.

The checks are comprehensive and you will find that cars generally mechanically at least are prepared to a high standard. Most likely something was identified which they are rectifying as part of the multi point check.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2017, 14:58 »
The 142 point check in reality probably involves the apprentice wandering quickly around the car with a clipboard to spot if anything dreadful is wrong with the car, then a diagnostic scan for fault codes.
There was probably something flagged up with the electronics so they had to go digging, or possibly just an electrical issue like a mirror not folding properly or a window not opening or closing as it should, central locking issue, ambience lighting issue...

There's no way a dealership will spend a penny more than they have to when they sell a car so they'll rectify any serious faults flagged but won't go digging for any, and certainly none that won't be covered by VW UK as a warranty claim.
The onus will be on the owner to come back and moan if there's something wrong, then the sales team will have to argue their case with the workshop team as to who's paying for the time and parts cost.
The 142 point check is just a safety and general appearance check to make sure the car is roadworthy and fairly presentable.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 22 October 2017, 16:35 »
Yeah. There is no way on earth the dealers are going to be ripping out interior panels unless they really really have to. So I’d therefore be asking exactly why before committing to that car.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2017, 23:08 »
Quick update to finish the thread.

Seven days after cancelling my viewing while I was on my way to the dealership, they finally phoned back. I asked them to elaborate as to why the car was no longer available for viewing.

Apparently part of the 142 point check involves removing and inspecting all of the light units for blown LED's which means removing the rear trim to gain access!

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2017, 23:37 »
I smell bull.
Ripping the interior out to check for possible (and very unlikely) blown bulbs? On every used car? No chance.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 28 October 2017, 00:13 »

Seven days after cancelling my viewing while I was on my way to the dealership, they finally phoned back. I asked them to elaborate as to why the car was no longer available for viewing.

Apparently part of the 142 point check involves removing and inspecting all of the light units for blown LED's which means removing the rear trim to gain access!

Stay away from that dealer  :grin:

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2017, 07:10 »
Just had my 15k service at the dealers. I complained about a rattle from the glovebox area. The service guy found the problem and said that the trim has been removed and replaced under and to the right of the glovebox and for £90 can fix it. (Apparently rattles only covered for 1 year under warranty). I asked why and he said probably routine inspection. Is this what you guys mean by 142 point check?

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 28 October 2017, 12:34 »

Surely the best way to check for blown led's would be to look at each light from the outside?

What a crock of sh!t.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17