Author Topic: Best mods for more engine noise from GTI  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
Best mods for more engine noise from GTI
« on: 15 October 2017, 19:05 »
I have a VW Racing panel filter and I have removed the snow panel from the airbox, plus the soundaktor has been disconnected.

The engine makes a nice grunty noise but I am wanting to hear more turbo noise, some hissing and sucking.

I am planning on purchasing an Aventuri induction kit soon, i'll be disappointed if this doesn't add some air sucking noise and more growl.
But what else is worth doing?
I'm not too keen on a new exhaust.....yet.
Anything else? Silicon hoses? Muffler delete (though I hear more negative comments than positive on this, and i'm still not really sure what it does!).

Having come from a MK2 Focus RS am I hoping for too much from the Golf engine as I wish it made noise like the Focus did!!
Also mine is manual and I have not heard 1 pop from the exhaust, is this just a DSG thing?

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Best mods for more engine noise from GTI
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2017, 20:31 »
I'm considering an induction kit - the Forge Motorsport one seems like a good option. One thing to consider is regarding an induction kit is that air flow into this seems very restricted from the factory so as far as I can see, you need to make some mods to the girls/intake area as there just isn't a good route in for cold air. One of the US forums did a big thread on this.

Here's the Forge one

https://www.awesomegti.com/brands/forge/forge-motorsport-carbon-intake-mqb
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2017, 16:54 »
Have you removes the rubber weather strip along the firewall trim under the bonnet?

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 17 October 2017, 19:25 »
Not heard of this one before! You got any photos of which bit you mean?

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2017, 13:42 »
No pics, but with the bonnet up standing in front of the car there is a long rubber strip that runs the length of the plastic trim under the screen the wipers come through and above where the Soundaktor sits. It simply pulls of, it takes longer to open the bonnet than to remove it.

Not tried it but many mk6 owners used it to hear the spooling sound of the turbo.

Offline Burger81

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2017, 13:59 »
Ah ok I know what you mean. Does that rubber serve any purpose except sound deadening?

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2017, 14:20 »
I've got the APR carbon intake, you still can't hear the turbo inside the car.  If you drive with the passenger window open you can here it but still not what I was expecting.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2017, 17:53 »
Ah ok I know what you mean. Does that rubber serve any purpose except sound deadening?

Probably not as water drains away long before it goes over the top. I took mine off for a while but put it back on simply because I didn't have anywhere to store it safely.