Author Topic: GTI vs R running/maintenance costs  (Read 6957 times)

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
GTI vs R running/maintenance costs
« on: 13 August 2017, 16:56 »
Been a proud owner of the GTI mk6 for 7 years (DSG), sold it and now looking to get an R (also DSG).  Doing around 15k miles/year.  Any help with how the 2 compare maintenance-wise would be great.
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI vs R running/maintenance costs
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2017, 19:39 »
No difference, only exception being Haldex service due every 40k miles on Golf R due to 4MOTION.

Service schedule/pricing/regime otherwise is exactly the same!

Brake/tyre wear is going to be much the same it all comes down to driving style, use of the car etc rather than one being more expensive than the other!
« Last Edit: 13 August 2017, 19:46 by Gaz W »
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2017, 20:11 »
Apart from above, Fuel is the biggest, the R requires Super, the GTI doesn't.

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2017, 20:19 »
No difference, only exception being Haldex service due every 40k miles on Golf R due to 4MOTION.

Brake/tyre wear is going to be much the same it all comes down to driving style, use of the car etc rather than one being more expensive than the other!

haldex service has to do with 4motion then, i take it the R will still need the dsg service as well?
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline Gaz W

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2017, 20:24 »

haldex service has to do with 4motion then, i take it the R will still need the dsg service as well?

Correct yes only the R has 4MOTION so requires haldex service, GTI does not have a haldex so is not serviceable, however worth noting I didn't mention previously he GTI performance has a differential which is serviceable (every 3 years) and is in some respects similar to a haldex system.

There are a number of variants of DSG gearbox e.g. 6SP/7SP and yes some require servicing both on R and GTI. 7SP generally are filled for life and not serviceable, majority of 6SP are serviceable interval is every 40K miles however there are a couple of exceptions where 6SP are filled for life and not serviceable so worth checking your gearbox code with local dealer.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2017, 20:28 by Gaz W »
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, DSG, Indium Grey, DCC, 19" Brescia Alloys, Dynaudio, Jacara Cloth Interior

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2017, 20:33 »
I came from a mk6 GTI to a 7R.  Fuel is the main regular difference in cost, and I used 98/99 RON in the mk6 too so make a fair comparison.  Overall, over the same journeys, the R returns about about 4-5mpg less than the GTI did over the long term. Had it 2 years nearly.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Bullfinch

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2017, 07:52 »
What's the difference in insurance costs between the two (UK market)?  I assume the R is in a much higher insurance group than the GTi.  Also what about VED (car tax)?  Is the R is one of the uber-expensive groups £500 per year?
Daily: Mk7.5 GTi PP DSG, Weekend: 911 997 Gen 2 Carrera 4S

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2017, 09:09 »
What's the difference in insurance costs between the two (UK market)?  I assume the R is in a much higher insurance group than the GTi.  Also what about VED (car tax)?  Is the R is one of the uber-expensive groups £500 per year?

It may be in a higher insurance group, but I found the real world difference only to be £20-30 for me.  Interestingly, the GTI, R and S3 were all much of a muchness with only £60 or so separating the cheapest from the most expensive while the Leon Cupra was about £350 more!
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2017, 09:17 »

Insurance groups; from Parkers - http://www.parkers.co.uk/car-insurance/insurance-groups/
Golf R; group 34. GTI (performance pack and non performance pack models); group 29

Insurers use so many factors in calculating premiums these days, the difference in insurance groups isn't really an indication of any likely difference in premium. To see what the difference is in £'s terms, suggest you get a quote for both the GTI and R.

The VED for the R depends on the CO2 emissions and the manufacturers list price (not the price you pay after discounts) of the car including options (CO2 figures below for VW brochure).

If list price is £40k or less;
Manual gearbox (CO2 180 g/km); first year £800, subsequent years; standard rate of £140 per year.
DSG gearbox (CO2 160 g/km); first year £500, subsequent years; standard rate of £140 per year.

If the list price is over £40k; the VED in the first 5 years the standard rate is paid (so years 2-6) increases by 310 per year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty/vehicle-excise-duty
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline vidman2

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2017, 16:13 »
When I moved from a M& GTipp to my R my insurance went up by £10 pa but MPG went down by 4mpg on same type of journeys.  Much prefer the R for its planted feeling and its get up and go.

Servicing costs were the same for a 3 year package.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2017, 16:16 by vidman2 »
2015 R DSG. Limestone Grey, DCC, Winter Pack, Tech Pack, Reversing Camera    plus   2013 Mk7 GTi DSG - Performance, Navigation, Winter Pack, DCC, Park Assist,