Author Topic: Download POI from car-net?  (Read 7246 times)

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
Re: Download POI from car-net?
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2017, 15:14 »
Is there a way to mute the voice but leave on the notifications? i don't like being told which way to go so always have sat nav voices turned off.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 11 August 2017, 16:20 »
Maybe its time to try Waze with Android Auto...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline gadgie

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 11 August 2017, 21:47 »
Maybe its time to try Waze with Android Auto...

I tried it but my phone got very hot, so I'll probably stick with the built-in Nav with all it's limitations.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2017, 11:46 »
Is there a way to mute the voice but leave on the notifications? i don't like being told which way to go so always have sat nav voices turned off.

Doesn't look like it. I had a play this morning and what happens is if you turn the voice off (which I also do) then you don't get the POI alert but the radio does turn down in volume. A bit annoying that in-car Satnavs are often so poorly thought out.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2017, 22:54 »

Doesn't look like it. I had a play this morning and what happens is if you turn the voice off (which I also do) then you don't get the POI alert but the radio does turn down in volume. A bit annoying that in-car Satnavs are often so poorly thought out.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to increase the volume of the POI beep, independantly, and the warning distance, but no one has found a way. I guess the system could be hacked, but it's not that big a deal, is it?
I have a £170 Tomtom satnav that I use in my VX220 that does all this really well and updates camera positions and maps, over wifi, automatically. I think part of the problem is the different attitudes and legal positions with camera warnings in European countries. A full on, properly integrated, OEM warning system could be a really powerful piece of kit!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2017, 22:09 »
If only Waze could be used on App Connect it would then be perfect.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2017, 09:12 »
It can...

I've been using it for weeks now!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2017, 18:21 »
It can...

I've been using it for weeks now!

Fred, please tell us more. I see it is an app I can get from iTunes store, but can it then be used directly through app connect, or do you need to use mirror link, or whatever?
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2017, 18:44 »
No idea about Apple... On android auto you just make sure Android auto and waze is up to date on your phone then can select waze  instead of Google maps on the navigation menu.... Easy

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 24 August 2017, 18:47 »
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/26/16028250/waze-android-auto-maps-navigation-carplay

According to that, no hope of Apple allowing it to happen