Author Topic: Download POI from car-net?  (Read 7244 times)

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
Download POI from car-net?
« on: 08 August 2017, 10:38 »
I'm usually pretty good at this kind of thing but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the POI's I've added to my car-net account online to the Discovery Nav?

I've successfully logged into the Car-Net screen in the car but not sure where to go from there. The obvious one would be Points of Interest but there doesn't seem any way to download the file I've added to my account from there.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
Re: Download POI from car-net?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2017, 11:09 »
Finally figured it out. The problem was, when I went into the Car-Net screen and clicked Updates, it whirred around for a bit and then said the service was unavailable (even though everything else was working okay) so I presumed it wasn't this. After a few more goes it finally decided to load and download the POI's I added online. Then just needed to go into the POI settings for the Nav and make sure they were checked.

Car-Net does seem a bit flakey though with connection.

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2017, 12:34 »
Which POIs have you added out of interest and what was the source?
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2017, 12:40 »

Just the Tesco Fuel one at the moment (as I use their Momentum 99 in my R). Got them from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs as they have lots of free ones. Was also thinking of subscribing to the Speed Camera Database but that costs £20 per year.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2017, 14:55 »

Just the Tesco Fuel one at the moment (as I use their Momentum 99 in my R). Got them from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs as they have lots of free ones. Was also thinking of subscribing to the Speed Camera Database but that costs £20 per year.

I subscribe to the speed camera database and find it a worthwhile addition to the satnavs capability, but with qualifications!
Although you can load POIs via car-net, I have yet to find a method of enabling the sound signal, when approaching one of these POIs. Adding the POIs via an SD card, and the German VW satnav website, does offer this facility, which is an obvious necessity for speed cameras. However, here comes the qualification, the sound signal is not the ideal strident squawk and only gives around 30 metres warning.
Unless you are a serial, extreme speeder, I think having the camera sites on screen is still really useful, if only to illustrate just how many potential sites there are, these days!
I have my screen on a fixed scale of 300 yards, which shows camera sites for a useful distance ahead. An occasional, careful, glance at the screen, or getting your passenger to monitor it, allows you to "make progress" safely enough.

Details of how to get suitably prepared POIs onto an SD card can be found here. The German Satnav Companion website has since moved and can now be found here. Note that, although reference is made to Discover Pro, this also works for the standard Discover Nav.

HTH  :smiley:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2017, 14:57 »

I subscribe to the speed camera database and find it a worthwhile addition to the satnavs capability, but with qualifications!
Although you can load POIs via car-net, I have yet to find a method of enabling the sound signal, when approaching one of these POIs. Adding the POIs via an SD card, and the German VW satnav website, does offer this facility, which is an obvious necessity for speed cameras. However, here comes the qualification, the sound signal is not the ideal strident squawk and only gives around 30 metres warning.
Unless you are a serial, extreme speeder, I think having the camera sites on screen is still really useful, if only to illustrate just how many potential sites there are, these days!
I have my screen on a fixed scale of 300 yards, which shows camera sites for a useful distance ahead. An occasional, careful, glance at the screen, or getting your passenger to monitor it, allows you to "make progress" safely enough.

Details of how to get suitably prepared POIs onto an SD card can be found here. The German Satnav Companion website has since moved and can now be found here. Note that, although reference is made to Discover Pro, this also works for the standard Discover Nav.

HTH  :smiley:

Thanks for this. Really useful. Yeah, I was thinking about the setting up of a sound alert and didn't realise you couldn't do with POIs from Car-Net but can with the SD Card route. I'll have a little play when when I'm driving around and see what happens.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2017, 15:05 »
I should add that, to get the satnav POI update from the SD card to work, you need to load all of the contents of the zip file that comes back from the German Companion site on to the card, that is both the file "metainfo2" and the folder "PersonalPOI", onto the card.

There has been confusion here, because the folder contains further folders which seem to refer to models of MIB2, but, in my experience, unless the card is loaded as advised, the update will not work.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2017, 19:09 »
I should add that, to get the satnav POI update from the SD card to work, you need to load all of the contents of the zip file that comes back from the German Companion site on to the card, that is both the file "metainfo2" and the folder "PersonalPOI", onto the card.

There has been confusion here, because the folder contains further folders which seem to refer to models of MIB2, but, in my experience, unless the card is loaded as advised, the update will not work.

I tested this out today. First did it via Car-Net and although they were visible on the map, there was no audible alert (as you pointed out). So, I then did it via SD Card and the German site (which BTW, seems to have changed URL to http://rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html) and that worked with the alert.

Just wondering if there's any way to increase the volume of the alert though as, even when just sitting in my car in demo mode, I could hardly hear it.

The only trouble doing it the SD card way is that each time you do it it'll overwrite all of the POI's you previously had so other POIs that don't change much you're better off doing via Car-Net unless you need the alert.

Offline gadgie

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2017, 21:39 »
Granted that the alert isn't very loud but I've found that it seems to have priority over the radio or media playback so you almost get a heads-up when the audio is muted just before the POI alert tone is heard.

I also like that it works even when Nav isn't being used...

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2017, 08:41 »
I suspect if you crank up the nav announcement volume to max the bong will increase in volume...

Of course then when you are actually using nav IT SHOUTS AT YOU SO LOUD THAT THE CAR BEHIND YOU CAN FOLLOW YOU JUST BY LISTENING TO YOUR SAT NAV ;-)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC