Author Topic: Thoughts on DSG R  (Read 8799 times)

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
Thoughts on DSG R
« on: 24 June 2017, 19:37 »
Hi All, am in the process of buying a used R, or GTI, I've briefly drove both and enjoyed them, but was particularly struck by how good the R was with DSG! I've never had an auto before and would like anybody's thoughts/experiences of living with one, as there maybe something I haven't thought of. I read somewhere they can be troublesome? Also I like the Pretoria alloy wheel, do you get a noticeable harsher ride with them? I've got a GTD at the moment but fancy the smell of petrol again!
Thanks for any help,
Vance

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Thoughts on DSG R
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2017, 21:32 »
Hi All, am in the process of buying a used R, or GTI, I've briefly drove both and enjoyed them, but was particularly struck by how good the R was with DSG! I've never had an auto before and would like anybody's thoughts/experiences of living with one, as there maybe something I haven't thought of. I read somewhere they can be troublesome? Also I like the Pretoria alloy wheel, do you get a noticeable harsher ride with them? I've got a GTD at the moment but fancy the smell of petrol again!
Thanks for any help,
Vance

I have a DSG R on Prets and wouldn't change a thing.  I've opted for DSG in my last 3 performance Golfs (9 years of DSG driving) and it's at its best to date in the R, working seamlessly with the modern tech - auto hold; e-handbrake; Adaptive Cruise, etc.  Best incarnation yet.  Can be a learning curve after a lifetime of manuals as it requires a slightly different driving style but a few weeks in and you'll be flying.  There are some that never get on with it, but very few and far between.  Similarly some experience jerky downshifts but again it's more likely adjusting to the gearbox.  The main criticism of the DSG box is it's keeness to change up rapidly in D and not rapidly enough in S, but thats where manual - tiptronic or paddles comes in.  Best of all worlds imo.  And in the 9 years I've had DSG gearboxes I have not had a single issue or failure and each car was kept between 3 and 4 years.

Prets (19's) are a firm ride but it is a hot hatch and so it should be, but decent tyres are everything and can offset some of the harshness for those that find it a little too much. Ride comfort is very subjective so you'll hear all sorts of different perspectives.  Best thing to do is test drive an R with Prets.  Don't know if you are looking at DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) which is an adaptive suspension adjustment that gives the option to adjust the dampers to Comfort, Normal or Sport depending on personal preference and road conditions.  I have it but mainly have it in Sport of Normal and tbh would be happy without it.  The non DCC ride is part way between Normal and Sport for ride comfort.  And of course, Prets are simply the best looking wheel for the R (not at all a biased opinion).
« Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 21:36 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2017, 22:34 »
As above........I have a DSG R on Prets......Do it 👍
« Last Edit: 25 June 2017, 09:02 by JB GTI »
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2017, 09:47 »
However I have a Golf R Manual on Prets and I also would not change a thing.  I was also undecided whether to get DSG Golf R but ended up getting a Manual in the end.  Not for the cost but just because i discovered in the end I actually prefer a Manual gearbox.  I guess it's a case of whatever you fancy and prefer at the time just go for it.  Both Manual and DSG will be good on the Golf R.  I have to say the Manual gearbox on my Golf R is the best I have ever used.  It is so silky smooth on changes and there is no clunkiness between gears like my GTI PP did on changing up to 3rd at times. 

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2017, 12:02 »
I have to agree with Booth, the DSG box with auto hold handbrake (I had an Evoque before and the Golf version is way better) and adaptive cruise control is amazing.

For easy driving it makes long journeys so easy and relaxing, it takes some balls to get used to the car braking, especially when the traffic brakes hard infront of you it takes some balls to let the car brake hard too but it does!

That all said, we have a new DS3 1.6T (its not much slower than the GTI) in manual and thats really great fun to drive, the manual really does involve you in the drive, the DSG paddle shifters does allow a sort of manual experience but its just not the same. We have 2 cars to keep things spiced up and I feel lucky to be able to pick and choose which one to drive pretty much, but that being said if I really had to live with one I'd go with the DSG box.

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2017, 18:38 »
Thanks for all your replies, especially Booth11, very helpful. They echo my thoughts on a brief drive with the DSG it seemed to work so well with the engine, and the speed of the changes in manual was astonishing. I think I'll have to test drive them both to decide but dealers seem reluctant to let you test drive them!

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2017, 19:06 »
Thanks for all your replies, especially Booth11, very helpful. They echo my thoughts on a brief drive with the DSG it seemed to work so well with the engine, and the speed of the changes in manual was astonishing. I think I'll have to test drive them both to decide but dealers seem reluctant to let you test drive them!

Stupid dealer.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Duke Dickson

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2017, 01:03 »
I have to agree with Booth, the DSG box with auto hold handbrake (I had an Evoque before and the Golf version is way better) and adaptive cruise control is amazing.

For easy driving it makes long journeys so easy and relaxing, it takes some balls to get used to the car braking, especially when the traffic brakes hard infront of you it takes some balls to let the car brake hard too but it does!

That all said, we have a new DS3 1.6T (its not much slower than the GTI) in manual and thats really great fun to drive, the manual really does involve you in the drive, the DSG paddle shifters does allow a sort of manual experience but its just not the same. We have 2 cars to keep things spiced up and I feel lucky to be able to pick and choose which one to drive pretty much, but that being said if I really had to live with one I'd go with the DSG box.

I still don't trust ACC & have had the need to stamp on the pedal moment a couple of times, which slightly detracts.

As for DSG -  non-believer. It may be better on the sportier stuff like here, but dire on the Old's Skoda. Seriously dodgy for anyone who cares more than 1% (and that's compared to a bang average manual 'box,). IMHO, of course :)

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2017, 09:00 »
Thanks for any help,
Vance

My Golf R was my first auto in 25 years of driving and have to say I love it on the R, it is a bit Playstation when your driving the car harder but in a good way. I am still a lover of the manual box but DSG and Golf R are a great match together.

Also have the 19" Prets without DCC with absolutely no issue, now have Eibach springs on and the ride is still complaint and comfortable.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2017, 15:11 »
I had to admit I think the DSG does really suit the R (given we have had three), my only gripe is in manual mode it still kicks down and also changes up (RS3 and BMW DCT still give you control)

I think the key with DSG is to get some better paddles as the stock ones are just too small, S2T or VWR seem the pick of the bunch