Author Topic: Peak District here we come!  (Read 1211 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Peak District here we come!
« on: 22 June 2017, 19:03 »
Can't wait to have a decent journey in the sweet Mk7.6 R. No pedal box unfortunately, but reckon it'll still be fine. Buxton is our stay,

so any good eating/drinking establishments? and recommended drives. I've bypassed the Peak district all my life so any other

recommendations appreciated. Here's expecting wet roads after heatwave, just the job!
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
Re: Peak District here we come!
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2017, 19:17 »
I highly recommend The Buxton Tap House to sample some of the locally brewed craft beer and the locally sourced food. There's also a French restaurant called the Brasserie just up the road from the Tap House that does a lovely steak and frogs legs if you're feeling adventurous!

Another great drinking spot is Monk, it's a bit pricier than the usual but they serve a very unique selection of cocktails and beers. The Thai restaurant next to Pizza Express is also quite good and very reasonably priced. Lone Star, above the Tap House, is quite a good American/Mexican restaurant too.

To be honest you're really spoilt for choice in Buxton.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2017, 19:29 »
A good drive is the A53 between Buxton and Leek, that's my favourite road of all time and there are no speed cameras :wink:

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2017, 19:43 »
Depending on how long you have I'd say Bakewell is worth a visit using A6, I grew up there many years ago....very nice tarts & puddings, not something I'd feel comfortable saying about any other places  :laugh:....you're also close to Chatsworth House at Baslow , if you head from there towards Tideswell along A623 then Peak Forest you're close to getting back to the A6 and completing a loop back into Buxton, should be an enjoyable drive in your R depending on weather although I'm guessing the in that the rain is just seen as a challenge! :wink:.....enjoy your trip, we're off to Oban on Monday, can't wait, first long drive in our new Gti

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2017, 20:31 »
Brilliant, No speed cams ? will keep em peeled. But yes I  think we're just up the road from tap house, Cottage not cheap but lovely looking place overlooking the Pavilion & grounds. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2017, 21:00 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.