Author Topic: Gulf Fuel  (Read 9778 times)

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
Re: Gulf Fuel
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2017, 22:15 »
If you are worried about the quality of the Gulf fuel then you could fill up in Fort William as I'm sure there is a BP as you leave the town with their fuel. it's no more then 100 miles if I remember to Skye so depending on your driving style, you should have some left. Then top up at the Gulf PS on Skye. at least that way you will be mixing the different fuels which if there is a difference then it's surely got to be better than a whole tank of the rubbish stuff?

I know that doesn't answer your question but may help.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2017, 19:34 »
Will do that and hope the wife doesn't want to drive all over  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2017, 21:42 »
Will do that and hope the wife doesn't want to drive all over  :whistle:

Yeah Skye is reasonably big so you could use a full tank on there

I'm taking my clubsport up on Wednesday so that's my plan so I'll report back if I discover any other petrol stations.

Ps, consider taking the ferry back from Armadale and stop at the Silver Sands at Morar. Beautiful beach

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2017, 19:07 »
👍👍

Offline Mikea

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2017, 21:08 »
The last time I was up that way, there was a Gleaner in Kyle of Lochalsh and in Portree.  Think gleaner is connected to Shell as they rebranded a lot of rural Shell petrol stations to Gleaner.

On the supermarket fuel argument, I worked on forecourts for a few years and speaking to the pump engineers they never filled up at a supermarket,  they said, the pumps are always gummed up from pumping the petrol, what does that do to the car. They used the big brands because the pumps where always cleaner.  Guess this is all the additives they add above the standard fuel standard. only my tuppence worth  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 26 May 2017, 22:09 by Mikea »
Sold 2021 : 2016 5dr GTi Clubsport Edition 40 DSG - No. 403
Tornado Red, Dynamic Chassis Control, Rear View Camera and 19" Brescia Alloys

Up! Gti Red 5 door, park and cruise, city emergency pack, climate control and 5 year warranty

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 27 May 2017, 08:14 »
That's interesting regarding Gleaner, cheers.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 31 May 2017, 07:45 »
Isn't diesel the fuel of the devil and probably whichever station you pump in it from I doubt there will be any difference? I could understand concerns if it was hypercar but not for one fill of the dreaded black stuff.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #27 on: 31 May 2017, 08:00 »
Isn't diesel the fuel of the devil and probably whichever station you pump in it from I doubt there will be any difference? I could understand concerns if it was hypercar but not for one fill of the dreaded black stuff.

There IS a difference

On forecourt fuel all of my cars have run smoother and returned better MPG

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2017, 08:28 »
Keh? Define forecourt fuel.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2017, 09:27 »

There IS a difference

On forecourt fuel all of my cars have run smoother and returned better MPG

As opposed to Gulf, that unheard of fuel that has never been associated with any sort of racing...?!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey