Author Topic: glass scratches  (Read 2846 times)

Offline D Squared

• GTI forum regular
glass scratches
« on: 23 May 2017, 12:38 »
hello, got a few scratches on a couple of the windows on my MK7...recommendations please on how to get rid or minimise them..

Thanks
MK3-MK5- Now MK7 GTi

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: glass scratches
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2017, 13:38 »
hello, got a few scratches on a couple of the windows on my MK7...recommendations please on how to get rid or minimise them..

Thanks

Guess it depends on the depth of the scratches.  You could have a go with some glass polish.  http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/glass-cleaners-sealants/gtechniq-g4-glass-nano-polish/prod_880.html

Could try polish with a machine polisher which might have some lessening effect on light scratches, but be careful you don't create a 'hollow' in the glass.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2017, 13:40 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2017, 14:36 »
I scratched my hatch window with a bit of grit on a cloth, quite a nasty deep one too. I've left it as is so each time I see it I'm reminded of the importance of being more careful :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline benfni

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2017, 21:20 »
I have a mk2 and all the windows are covered in tiny scratches. I think it used to be a show car and just got cleaned too much, is there any glass polish people could recommend to get rid of these tiny blemishes?

I read somewhere online you can use toothpaste but this had no effect, I also read you can use brasso, but before I start covering the car in loads of different chemicals I thought i'd ask on here first.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2017, 21:28 »
I have a mk2 and all the windows are covered in tiny scratches. I think it used to be a show car and just got cleaned too much, is there any glass polish people could recommend to get rid of these tiny blemishes?

I read somewhere online you can use toothpaste but this had no effect, I also read you can use brasso, but before I start covering the car in loads of different chemicals I thought i'd ask on here first.

If you click on the link that Rebecca kindly posted two posts above you then that should do the trick.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2017, 07:51 »
Jewellers rouge is will get fine scratches out and improve quite deep ones.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline benfni

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2017, 14:10 »
Thanks I will try these