Author Topic: Golf Gti PP problems somone help 😥  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Tjmarbs

• Just got here
Golf Gti PP problems somone help 😥
« on: 23 May 2017, 12:14 »
Ok so i purchased my golf brand new and all seemed well..... around 8 months down the line i decided i wanted a wheel slightly wider, so instead of buying a new set i decided i would buy some spacers 15mm fronts and 25mm rears for a flusb fitment as the website stated, and see how that worked out and save for the set of wheels that i wanted.

Unfortunately this is when the trouble started, immediately i noticed between about 70mph and 80mph theres was a shuddering, it was hardly noticeable but too me who drives it every day it was clearly there. Not through the steering wheel but through the car itself. So i blamed it on the spacers fitting poorly and chucked them off and everything was perfect again.

A month later i decided it was time too change the wheels so i was maticulous with my approach and had the dealer order my wheels brand new tyres valves the job lot. I then had the same people fit the tyres balance them and then had allignment. The wheels i purchased where 19x8.

So i took the car out for the first time and the shuddering that occured when i fit the spacers had now become so bad it ruined the car it was uncomfortable and unsafe.

Many arguements later we decided to call it a day and put my old wheels back on and luckily i only suffered the fitting costs. The next weekend i decided to give it one more try, a freind of mine had some wheels in his shop perfect for the car now this are wider and staggered rotiform tmbs so yet again we loaded it up with brand new tyres balanced wheel allignment the lot, i was getting to around 40 and the car felt worse than the last set!

So yet again i put my old wheels back on and everything was absolutely fine. Somone help 😧

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: Golf Gti PP problems somone help 😥
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2017, 12:53 »
Only a guess but I'd check the centre bore sizes as there are a few different one's out there for a 5x112 fitment.

If the wheels you are fitting require spigot rings, check they're correct.

Not that it helps your situation but my 19" BBS SR alloys have the correct centre bore and don't cause any issues with shaking etc at any speed.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2017, 12:54 »
25mm on the rears is way to much if you ask me.
I've got 16mm and that's about all you need and should ever want.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2017, 12:57 »

Fair point but they could (up to a certain point obviously) be any size and shouldn't affect what would be something probably percieved as a wheel balance/vibration problem
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2017, 13:05 »

Fair point but they could (up to a certain point obviously) be any size and shouldn't affect what would be something probably percieved as a wheel balance/vibration problem
True, I just feel 25mm is being greedy and almost asking for trouble.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Tjmarbs

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2017, 13:39 »
I thought that it may be too much hence why i went for a 19x8 but had the same problem, the wider the width the worse it gets.

Offline Tjmarbs

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2017, 13:40 »
Also my freind runs the same spacers, no problems and another runs 19x8.5 and 19x10 and no problems. Its beyond me.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2017, 15:20 »
Also my freind runs the same spacers, no problems and another runs 19x8.5 and 19x10 and no problems. Its beyond me.

Is it worth getting said friend to run your wheels and/or spacers you had to see if they are an issue on his car?

It would definitely isolate the problem.

Offline Tjmarbs

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2017, 15:39 »
Have done and its fine so its definately my car.

Offline Tjmarbs

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2017, 15:41 »
Ive pulled on the wheels theres no play. I cant see anything out of the ordinary