Author Topic: Telescopic Security Post for the Drive - advice...  (Read 2384 times)

Offline sukrw

• Not said much yet
Hi,

Has anyone got any recommendations/advice on what/which security post for the driveway? I'm looking for a good quality telescopic one and if anyone has had an experience on what to go for or to avoid.

Need it installing so would need someone who can supply and fit.

Cheers all

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: Telescopic Security Post for the Drive - advice...
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 16:26 »
I take it it's to use to protect your car? In which case you will forget it's there at sometime for sure. Aren't they usually used to prevent driveway parking in towns/cities and I see a lot especially in coastal resorts.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2017, 17:00 »
My Dad considered one of these until I suggested the chances of him reversing into it were greater than the risk of the car being stolen.

I may live to regret that suggestion, but up to now it's been OK.
7.5 GTD

Offline sukrw

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2017, 17:51 »
Yes it is for protecting a car and this is a must for me having had my S3 stolen off the drive late last year.

The car will have parking sensors so as soon as I try and reverse it will start bleating at me so I'm fairly sure I won't hit it. But time will tell I guess lol

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2017, 18:11 »
The car will have parking sensors so as soon as I try and reverse it will start bleating at me so I'm fairly sure I won't hit it. But time will tell I guess lol
[/quote]

Hi not sure about your layout of the drive etc but would it nit be easier to reverse onto the drive so you can see the post before you set off lol just a thought.
But regarding the security post they are a very good idea and very visual although as you may have read within the forum these ppl that want the car break in to get the keys surely this would be just another key to get from you IF they decide to want it bad enough.
It's irrelevant what security you put on/in a car if they want it rhey will get it.
How about a tracker/ gps/uhf positioning box at least that way if if does go it can be traced..
Just a thought that I'm guessing other members/ victims may agree or disagree
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2017, 18:45 »

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2017, 19:16 »
As gtiaps said, if they want it a security post won't stop them. Where would you keep the key for the post, on your car key key ring? If they get the key of the car they will just have to unlock the post first.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2017, 14:28 »
To be honest, unless they are going to put it on a low loader, your best bet is a decent steering wheel lock.

Very hard to forget it's there and the better one's are apparently quite secure and would take a good amount of time and noise to remove without the key.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Bigwod

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2017, 17:23 »
http://www.securitybollardsdirect.co.uk/security-bollards.html

I had a SS5 telescopic fitted by these guys 2 years ago its brilliant bit of kit its in front of my garage door keeping my RS 500 nice and safe.
I've got them coming back in June to fit another to go behind where the golf is parked.

Offline Ooosh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2017, 22:25 »
If someone wants your car enough they will take it. If you make it too difficult they will break into your house, threaten your wife/gilfriend/loved one.

My suggestion is to spend the money on GAP insurance - that way if the car gets stolen you can buy yourself a present!

Slightly tongue in cheek but do think seriously about it. For example why install CCTV - just so you have a video of them stealing your car?

CSS + McLaren 570S + Saxdor 200 + Christen Eagle