Author Topic: Discovery Pro Nav or Alpine Style Retrofit....?  (Read 3086 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Discovery Pro Nav or Alpine Style Retrofit....?
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2017, 08:39 »
Many of these places offering retrofit units seem to be offering reconditioned rather than brand new. Fine if you don't mind, but best to check.

I presume VW fitted a new unit in my car when they built it and it never worked right from day one and is now going to get replaced. New is not always better and as long as it is reconditioned properly then there shouldn't be that much different, if at all.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2017, 12:49 »
While I don't disagree, you could say the same about many other parts of the car.

The point I was making was to make sure you know what you are paying for, where it has come from and how much warranty you have.  If yours is being replaced then that is surely better than a unit that has gone wrong and having to fight to get it replaced.
7.5 GTD

Offline Dubbit

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2017, 14:37 »
Hi All

While this isn't something I 'need', I quite fancy treating myself and the GTI to a Sat Nav, and appreciate your thoughts as not sure which direction to go in!

At the moment I have the 5.8" Composition Media Until (non Sat Nav), but have the VW/Garmin/Kenwood Nav upgrade fitted. Works really very well, but I fancy a larger screen and some of the extra functionality available.

So, do I go down the MIB II 8" Discovery Pro retrofit route (and keep mine to refit at resale), or go for the Alpine Style?

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/X901D-G7

Both the same sort of price. My concern with the Alpine kit is that the radio surround trim looks like it is gloss black, rather the the standard finish on the GTI!!

Any thoughts/view welcome!

I originally had the OEM 8" & installed the Alpine but its well overpriced & a bugger to fit but if you dont play mixes like me then its okay.
Mixes it doesn't remember were it left off if you switch the engine on/off after a few times.
Which I find a joke in this day & age tbh.
I have been onto Alpine about this for months & say they are going to correct.

Offline GE90

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2017, 22:12 »
That's really interesting, thanks. I thought it looked fairly straight forward to fit!

It might sound like a minor point, but the fact that the radio surround does not match the factory GTI finish has turned me off the idea of the Alpine.

Just hope I can find a Discover Pro MIB2 set up at a reasonable price

Thanks