Author Topic: CS steering wheel wear  (Read 5941 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: CS steering wheel wear
« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2017, 14:48 »
Wheel and seats are trimmed in Alcantara - not suede, not nubuck, not leather. It's a man-made material and can be cleaned:

http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/alcantara-cleaning-guide/

Or, take the wheel off, cover the seats, in fact don't use the car at all in case of wear  :huh: :grin:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2017, 15:06 »
Wheel and seats are trimmed in Alcantara - not suede, not nubuck, not leather. It's a man-made material and can be cleaned:

http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/alcantara-cleaning-guide/

Or, take the wheel off, cover the seats, in fact don't use the car at all in case of wear  :huh: :grin:

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.
Any links to hair restorer for when it goes a bit bald? The wheel that is, not my noggin.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2017, 21:42 »
yeah found the cleaning guide on Friday as well so picked up the auto finesse cleaner on Saturday but not had a chance to give it a try yet. On closer inspection though it looks less bald and more flattened or at least that's what I'm hoping for  :smiley:

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2017, 09:56 »
Warranty claim?

Just normal wear and tear I think Trev.

This is where it's starting to show (not very clear in pic).

2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2017, 10:07 »
I think I read in a German forum that some with high miles (or very tight grips?)  were getting their steering wheels replaced under warranty. Which given that I got a long warranty left (2y + 3y extension) made me think I'll actually just go ahead and use it like I normally would, then in case of excessive wear I'll just ask for a replacement (before the 5 years) and only then I'll start worry about preservation... Would be good to confirm if they are getting replaced though.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2017, 16:02 »
Video on the pro's & cons of alcantara....

3 mins 50 in discusses wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebUNgMhQV4&feature=push-u&attr_tag=_Sl5INjwroVwtYtM-6

( I don't think anyone has told him the gorilla is not real, probably for the best? ;) )

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2017, 20:30 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebUNgMhQV4&feature=push-u&attr_tag=_Sl5INjwroVwtYtM-6

( I don't think anyone has told him the gorilla is not real, probably for the best? ;) )

It's a monkey :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2017, 21:51 »

Thanks, the video answers the question, basically expect the steering wheel to wear quickly.  :sad:

However I did give it a clean tonight based on the auto finesse video, and using the AF product and I have noticed it looks a lot better. When I bought the car it had done 2200miles so I assummed it couldn't have been that dirty however the red alcantara part at the top of the wheel never looked very bright. It almost looked like some of the grey had dyed it a little. I was wrong, a little clean and it has come up bright red again so this shows how dirty the wheel got.

My advice to anyone doing it is just to be patient and be gentle. Before I used the cleaner, although it doesn't say to do it, I gently brushed the wheel first just to see if the piles would fluff up. They didn't but I did see a lot of dust (dead skin I guess). I then cleaned it using very little cleaner and just been out to see how it has dried and it looks and feels much better. There is only 1 small part I think I'll give another go.

So I guess even though the car was used by the manager, the sponge monkeys and techs were not that bothered about clean hands when working on it.