Author Topic: Revo stage 1 map GTI mk7  (Read 14176 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Revo stage 1 map GTI mk7
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2017, 14:37 »
Ok thanks. So essential mods when getting a stage 1 are bottom engine mounts as well.

Any recommendations for good makes of these? Is this quite an expensive mod?

I have one of these fitted, very effective and good value imho.
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/034motorsport/034motorsport-billet-aluminium-mqb-dogbone-mount-insert/

BTW i have a REVO stage 1 map on my CS and it's putting out 370bhp and 330 ft/lbs. It's manual and has done 3k miles now since the map and going great...  :wink:

I've got one of these as well on my GTI PP (with DTUK tuning box) and it definitely improves the wheel hopping (although it doesn't completely eliminate it) - the only thing is you need to get under your car before ordering it to see which version you need. I ended up putting my mobile phone on the self timer and sliding it under the car on a bit of wood to take a photo of it.

You didn't have any small kids to hand then that you could have shoved under the car :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2017, 15:35 »
Do you need to get underneath to view the insert? I'm no expert on this sort of thing but isn't this mine right in the middle:

If so then you can see it from the engine bay looking behind the engine.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2017, 17:29 »
Ok thanks. So essential mods when getting a stage 1 are bottom engine mounts as well.

Managed to find a pic of the mount that broke,as you can see it's not the strongest looking part .

Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)

Offline random_nickname

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2017, 15:32 »

Managed to find a pic of the mount that broke,as you can see it's not the strongest looking part .

Would you put this down to an accumulation of wear and tear / hard driving or just bad luck this one time? I am looking into a Stage 1 tune (possibly Revo) and would hate to have anything like this happen.
| GOLF MK7 GTI | PP | DSG | KEYLESS | DYNAUDIO | SUNROOF | 3DR | WHITE |

Offline gazmondo35

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2017, 20:18 »
 I wouldn't put it down to wear &tear because the car was only six months old at the time , probably a combination of bad luck & a heavy right foot. If you are worried about breaking one I would suggest leaving the traction control on.

I hope I haven't put you off getting your car remapped ,it was amazing to drive & faster than my current golf R.
Mk7 golf R DBP
MK7 golf gti pp red (sold)

Offline random_nickname

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2017, 10:29 »
I wouldn't put it down to wear &tear because the car was only six months old at the time , probably a combination of bad luck & a heavy right foot. If you are worried about breaking one I would suggest leaving the traction control on.

I hope I haven't put you off getting your car remapped ,it was amazing to drive & faster than my current golf R.

Thanks and yeah I still think I will get it done at some point and would probably get an upgraded mount but I've still got nearly 2 years warranty and it would stand out like a sore thumb at the service centre!

"So why did you feel the need to get an upgraded dogbone sir???!"  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2017, 14:19 »
My insert went in way before the end of the warranty, as did my DTUK tuning box, Milltek cat back, Eibach springs, aftermarket wheels, Pipercross induction kit and vent mounted boost gauge. That said, I removed the induction kit as the noises it made (whilst a giggle at first) soon became tiresome - replaced with a pipercross panel filter with the snow filter removed.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline random_nickname

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2017, 14:50 »
My insert went in way before the end of the warranty, as did my DTUK tuning box, Milltek cat back, Eibach springs, aftermarket wheels, Pipercross induction kit and vent mounted boost gauge. That said, I removed the induction kit as the noises it made (whilst a giggle at first) soon became tiresome - replaced with a pipercross panel filter with the snow filter removed.

So are you saying they did not question any of the mods and still honoured your service / warranty schedule?

The reason I would not worry so much about an ECU flash is that it can be reversed before a service / warranty work whereas anything more permanent (or at least a pain in the arse to take in and out) like a dogbone would likely have to stay in there and in my experience much like insurance companies they will most likely try to put the blame on you rather than pay out / do the warranty work.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2017, 16:06 »

So are you saying they did not question any of the mods and still honoured your service / warranty schedule?

The reason I would not worry so much about an ECU flash is that it can be reversed before a service / warranty work whereas anything more permanent (or at least a pain in the arse to take in and out) like a dogbone would likely have to stay in there and in my experience much like insurance companies they will most likely try to put the blame on you rather than pay out / do the warranty work.

Admittedly I took the tuning box off prior to it going into the dealers for anything, but the rest of it stayed on and no questions were asked. That said, the only warranty work I had done was a water pump though.

I'd be more wary of putting an ECU flash onto a car as apparently VW can tell if a car has been flashed and then returned to stock by the flash counter and/or checksum on the ECU and there were lots of stories of a TD1 flag being raised against a car (VWs way of saying they suspect a car has been flashed, even if returned to standard). The DTUK boxes are supposedly undetectable (I know DTUK did some testing) although if you leave the box on (or even the loom with the blanking plug fitted) and they see it they may flag it as TB1 (suspect tuning box).

A lot is down to particular dealers though, some are more 'mod friendly' than others.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2017, 19:37 »
If you remove the dtuk box you also need to clear the fault codes it leaves. Overboost errors are the most common.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.