Author Topic: 7.5 LED headlights - how good are they?  (Read 19236 times)

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
Re: 7.5 LED headlights - how good are they?
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2017, 07:47 »
After doing my first night drive at the weekend I can report that the lights are nice and clear, powerful and a joy to use.

However I'd question whether or not the dynamic cornering adds much. Yes you can see the lights move slightly to the left and right but because the lights are so bright with a good pattern anyway it doesn't appear to add much more. The spots that light up the extreme corners are very good, much better than other cars I've had with spotlight cornering lights.

Offline SCOTTE

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2017, 07:59 »
Are they on par with Xenons or better?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2017, 08:29 »

I can't comment on what the LED headlights on the mk7.5 Golf are like. However, my Polo GTI has LED headlights and I find them very good.

I previously had a mk6 Golf GTD with xenons, and although the LED's on my car are probably not as technically advanced as those fitted to the latest performance Golfs, I'd say they are at least on a par with my previous xenons. The light is whiter, which IMO improves illumination and night vision.

Assuming LED technology has moved on from when the LED headlights were designed for the Polo, that suggests the LED headlamps fitted to the mk7.5 Golf should be good.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2017, 08:35 »
This is proper multi-beam from Hella - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su9f2yp_lrM

Unfortunately VW are not using this yet :sad:

Normally not too wowed by tech as most is a rehash or enhancement of something that has existed for a while. But this is genuinely great tech, and given its intelligence allows even greater brightness on standard setting ensuring other cars remain unaffected. Dimming for signs but just in the area of signs is pretty cool as tech goes.

Would actually option this against all my principles of avoiding options that are not going to change experience too much IE lights are pretty decent these days anyway
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2017, 11:41 »

Better but not as much of a jump as it was from halogens to xenons.

I suspect the dynamic light assist LED lights are a huge step up though with the 'always full beam' approach.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2017, 11:49 by Briggsy »

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2017, 11:56 »

I suspect the dynamic light assist LED lights are a huge step up though with the 'always full beam' approach.

My move from an Audi with Halogens to my previous GTD with Xenon was a literally night and day move, the Audi was like candles in comparison.

LED lights have never been too attractive as in must have, as just see them as a different light, but do like the look of the matrix tech and hopefully by time it comes around for me to change the matrix tech will becoming the standard
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2017, 12:08 »

Does yours have two beams & projectors like in my pic above?
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.

Offline Briggsy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2017, 13:09 »

Does yours have two beams & projectors like in my pic above?

It has the 2 projectors like the pic above.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 23 May 2017, 13:32 »
Don't think the std LED headlights will be night and day (pardon the pun) over the mk 7 xenons. In my experience, unless you pay the upgrade the lights will fine but not extraordinary. Does dyanamic light assist actually add anything other than the high beam assistant? My current car a C Class has the std LEDs and they are a nicer colour than xenon but wouldn't say illumination is out of this word but it is decent.

I had an M3 for a week last year with the adaptive LEDs and they were unbelievable. On the M1 at 2am when a car overtook me (I was taking it steady) they kept the left lit up and as the car moved across the lights moved round it. Pretty impressive.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline eatontrifles

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #39 on: 23 May 2017, 14:02 »
Don't think the std LED headlights will be night and day (pardon the pun) over the mk 7 xenons. In my experience, unless you pay the upgrade the lights will fine but not extraordinary. Does dyanamic light assist actually add anything other than the high beam assistant? My current car a C Class has the std LEDs and they are a nicer colour than xenon but wouldn't say illumination is out of this word but it is decent.

I had an M3 for a week last year with the adaptive LEDs and they were unbelievable. On the M1 at 2am when a car overtook me (I was taking it steady) they kept the left lit up and as the car moved across the lights moved round it. Pretty impressive.
That's exactly what DLA does - it's not just high beam assist.
Mk7.5 5dr GTI DSG. Isaac Blue, Keyless, Dynaudio, DLA & Lane Assist, DCC, Art Velours.