Author Topic: 2001 golf mk4 1.8t gti, power loss when warm 2 fault codes  (Read 3677 times)

Offline LukeGTI89

• Just got here
  • 2001 gti 1.8t 3door stage 1 remap
Hi everyone,
Ive recently picked up a 51 plate 3dr gti 1.8t and im having an issue and find myself wondering if any of you knowledgeable guys or girls can help, ill describe the issue below

Basically when i drive the car from cold it runs great it boosts well and is really quick, im lead to believe it has a stage 1 map at around 200 bhp which feels fairly accurate from the power, however everytime ive been driving for about 10 mins and car os well up to temp the power drops (to what feels like the standard 150bhp) . When i picked it up the eml was on giving code p0102 for maf sensor, i unplugged the maf during a power loss episode and it seemed to work for about a mile and then reverted back to low power. This morning i swapped out the maf and cone filter for the original airbox and maf setup that i got from a pal (unsure if this maf is a dud or not) upon starting this morning it took 5 attempts to keep it running so i jumped out, unplugged the maf which was still the old one at this point and it then idled ok and ran ok apart from the power loss half way to.work. then at work i swapped to the orinal airbox setup and when i left work it idled like crap again until i unplugged maf and then same as the morning, ran ok apart from power loss 10 mins into journey. When i got home.i scanned it and got p0102 and p0340 (camshaft sensor) i erased both faults then took it out for a few mile with maf plugged in but it still had not restored power but so far the codes have not come back so im at a bit of a loss wether to try a brand new maf or not, scratching my head a little now so hopefully i can get some.ideas to point me in the right direction. Or failing that find out if there is anyone local to swadlincote, derbyshire that might have vagcom that i could use to look a little deeper into the problem as i dont have it anymore.
Thanks in advance for any responses
Luke
Why did i ever learn how to repair cars 😑

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Whats the engine code. The camshaft code can mean more than camshaft. I had a customer who has this code and its because the vvt doesnt work and the sensor picks this up.

Maf senaor i would check if all the wires are in the plug if 2 mafs have done the same thing.

Offline LukeGTI89

• Just got here
Im pretty sure its an aum mate, ill double check tomorrow to make sure. I get the feeling its engine managment sensor related just due to the fact its only when it gets up to temp, but since clearing the codes earlier they havent resurfaced and it started fine from cold earlier but i didnt get to take it far enough to see if the boost dropped again, tomorrow mornings journey should give me a bit more feedback i hope
Cheers
Luke

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
If its an aum im sure they havnt got vvt anyway so a siple check is to make sure the cam and crank are timed correctly.
Sounds like it could need a cam sensor which only take ten minutes to change

Offline LukeGTI89

• Just got here
So the drive to work this morning seemed fine, car didnt seem to loose power today and the eml has not returned, i wonder if the old stored fault was sending it in to some sort of limp mode, only issue now is the dump valve seems to work when it feels like it, half the journey i cant hear it and then at some points it will start making noise again, could this just be on its way out and need changing do you think ?
Cheers
Luke

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Could be vac pipe split near dv.
An uprated dv is never a bad idea though.  :grin:

Offline LukeGTI89

• Just got here
Can you recommend any that you know are decent as im not sure exactly which one to go for, id like something either unusal sounding or fairly loud so i can always tell if its working
Cheers
Luke

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Last one i had was a universal jobby thats now on my mums s3 and you can hear that.
Most go for a forge motorsport one. 008 i think is the version thats newest. Atay away from a splitter r valve by froge although they blow off well there a nightmare. Got one on a passat and im sure one of the seals leaks

Offline LukeGTI89

• Just got here
Ok mate thanks for the info ill get a forge i think, all seems to be well with the boost issue now ive fitted airbox and cleared codes but i am getting the camshaft sensor code coming back with no running issues and now a coolant temp sensor code also, im going to change the temp sensor asap and hopefully resolve that issue, it does look like there is a really small amount of coolant seeping from around the sensor so i expect some has gotten in and corroded the sensor or contact points but im unsure if this cam sensot fault is a red herring with there being no more running issues just yet.
Cheers
Luke

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Just means the ecu doesnt know the position of the cam so is running on crank sensor only.
Like i said there not too bad to change if you can get a cheap one second hand to try.