Author Topic: Crazing/Stress Cracking of Tail Light Lens  (Read 10825 times)

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Crazing/Stress Cracking of Tail Light Lens
« on: 11 April 2017, 08:26 »
Noticed this when leaving work yesterday  :sad:. Cracks seem to be on inside of lens possibly, I can't feel them from the outside. All seem to originate from a single point. Will do a bit more investigating and get some better pictures in the daylight today.

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
Re: Crazing/Stress Cracking of Tail Light Lens
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2017, 11:32 »
Had a further look just now. Weirdly all the cracks seem to point towards the injection moulding mark in the indicator section of the light so it's like a stress failure of the material. No signs of an impact anywhere on the lens. Got a part number so will see how much a replacement is, will be an easy replacement just annoying. 5K0 945 096 P if anyone wonders. More pics:

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2017, 12:46 »
First glance you think something must have hit the outside bottom corner but as you say, must be internal. Not seen anything like that before!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2017, 12:48 »
First glance you think something must have hit the outside bottom corner but as you say, must be internal. Not seen anything like that before!

Yeah that was my immediate thought too but there's no damage or evidence of any contact anywhere on the lens. All the cracks point towards a single place, that being the moulding mark in the last pic. Very very odd!

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2017, 19:52 »
I presume the lights are OEM and not reps?
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 April 2017, 20:03 »
I presume the lights are OEM and not reps?

Yeah they're the originals as fitted from the factory.

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2017, 22:52 »
That's a strange one Dan. Wonder if the joint between the different plastics has stressed it?

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2017, 08:55 »
That's a strange one Dan. Wonder if the joint between the different plastics has stressed it?

Posted this on the golfmk6.com forum too and a couple of the US guys have had OEM headlights do this but nobody with rear lights yet. Nothing like being a trailblazer huh?  :laugh: New part will cost me £165.83 from VW. Just hope the other tail lights won't do the same as it could become expensive! If only it was the headlights, I might have had a half excuse for upgrading to xenons  :grin:

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2017, 00:08 »
That's not a cheap,replacement but needs must...

At least it's an easy swap out.

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2017, 09:12 »
I bought my car new and whilst still in the showroom when collecting, I noticed a crack on the inside of the cluster on the driver's side.
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.