Author Topic: R boot dimensions please  (Read 4260 times)

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
Re: R boot dimensions please
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2017, 10:19 »
you can always remove the parcel shelf when the dog's on board.

I wouldn't like to be the dog that's squeezed into the boot of a Golf R...

Ha, I would do that anyway :huh: It's just how far he sits up in the boot. Time to measure dog.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2017, 10:34 »

Ha, I would do that anyway :huh: It's just how far he sits up in the boot. Time to measure dog.

What kind of dog is it? Just remember that you do have other options
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2017, 10:40 »

What kind of dog is it? Just remember that you do have other options

Perfect. That's that sorted then  :smiley:

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2017, 16:23 »
I'll check mine this evening if no one else comes back in the meantime. Thing is. If you need to ask. It's probably too small.

Thanks. Just want to see the difference compared to my Type R. Really just to see how the dog will got on with his new change of environment!!

Ok so I checked! It's:

73cm deep (at it's deepest point - i.e. the floor)
102cm wide (at the narrowest point)
38cm high

TBH, it's hopelessly small. The R's biggest (smallest) problem.

EDIT: looks like Fred beat me to it, and his measurements are slightly more optimistic   :laugh:

Just visited a less than helpful VW dealership and measured the boot on a GTI and it was 45cm in height from the floor, in raised position, to the top of the seat. It's my understanding that the only difference with the size of the GTI and R boot is that the R floor cannot be lowered which is where the GTI gets the increased capacity?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2017, 16:50 »
Yes, on a GTD or GTI you can lower the boot floor by about 10cm,  which gives you a fair bit of extra space.

On the R or the GTE you can't because the space is used up by the rear diff (on the R) or batteries (on the GTE)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2017, 23:12 »
I'll check mine this evening if no one else comes back in the meantime. Thing is. If you need to ask. It's probably too small.

Thanks. Just want to see the difference compared to my Type R. Really just to see how the dog will got on with his new change of environment!!

Ok so I checked! It's:

73cm deep (at it's deepest point - i.e. the floor)
102cm wide (at the narrowest point)
38cm high

TBH, it's hopelessly small. The R's biggest (smallest) problem.

EDIT: looks like Fred beat me to it, and his measurements are slightly more optimistic   :laugh:

Just visited a less than helpful VW dealership and measured the boot on a GTI and it was 45cm in height from the floor, in raised position, to the top of the seat. It's my understanding that the only difference with the size of the GTI and R boot is that the R floor cannot be lowered which is where the GTI gets the increased capacity?

Less than helpful VW dealer? Surely not :whistle:

I have yet to find a VW dealer that is helpful, let alone one after they have taken your money.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2017, 23:46 »

Every time I closed the boot - our 2 Labradors would just lie down. Though that was years ago, in the massive boot of a Vauhall Nova. :rolleyes:

Is 1  boxer dog that big? Or is it a pampered pouch? :huh:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2017, 18:38 »
Our Whippet travels in the back of our R without issue, recommend a Hatchbag Boot Liner and Travall dog guard. Not cheap but protects the car from dog hairs and keeps both dog and occupants safe.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #18 on: 30 March 2017, 19:55 »
Our Whippet travels in the back of our R without issue, recommend a Hatchbag Boot Liner and Travall dog guard. Not cheap but protects the car from dog hairs and keeps both dog and occupants safe.

Thanks for this. I notice with the Travall guard that you need access to the two hooks on the side panel but there's no holes in the hatchbag near there - from what I can see. How do you attach them both?

Was looking at this from UK Custom Covers http://www.ukcustomcovers.com/custom-boot-liners/volkswagen/golf-mk7-hatch-raised-floor-2013-onwards which appears cheaper than the hatchbag but still looks pretty good.