Author Topic: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?  (Read 16431 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
Re: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?
« Reply #50 on: 16 December 2017, 17:45 »
Thanks guys. What about the Avon ZZ5's or, as randam_nickname mentioned, the Yokohama Advan Sport V105S's?

I have used Avon's (but not the ZZ5's) in the past and they were quiet, grippy in wet and dry, are nice and progressive if they loose grip and have a good feel to them. Though as this is my first car with electric power steering that I'd be trying Avon's on, the good road contact feel may not still be the case..

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 16 December 2017, 17:52 »
Michelins.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #52 on: 16 December 2017, 18:12 »
PS4S for me, a revelation in grip, even in this cold weather! Admittedly I'm mostly a relaxed driver but I do enjoy getting going and I've had no tramping, no wheelspin and no traction control lights come on bar one very brief moment. Definitely more comfortable and a bit quieter. And my old tyres were Pirellis!

Blackcircles gave a good price plus £40 off for buying 4 and 6 months 0%.

Thanks. So disappointed with the Bridgesatans! :evil: Why did VW go there, when it basically spoils a really nice car!? My wife HATES the tramping that goes with these tyres and thinks its going to damage the car. Is it?

So what is the difference between the PS4S and the PS4 and are they both available in the standard 225/40 R 18 for the GTD?

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 16 December 2017, 19:03 »
PS4S for me, a revelation in grip, even in this cold weather! Admittedly I'm mostly a relaxed driver but I do enjoy getting going and I've had no tramping, no wheelspin and no traction control lights come on bar one very brief moment. Definitely more comfortable and a bit quieter. And my old tyres were Pirellis!

Blackcircles gave a good price plus £40 off for buying 4 and 6 months 0%.

Thanks. So disappointed with the Bridgesatans! :evil: Why did VW go there, when it basically spoils a really nice car!? My wife HATES the tramping that goes with these tyres and thinks its going to damage the car. Is it?

So what is the difference between the PS4S and the PS4 and are they both available in the standard 225/40 R 18 for the GTD?

No PS4S for 18 inch wheels i'm afraid. Just the normal PS4. But not to worry too much as they're still one of the best tyres around.

Bridgestone's are probably ok in other countries where they get warmer, drier weather over summer, or countries where they take them off over winter and run proper winter tyres.

Unfortunately the UK's cold and rainy climate tends to show them at their worst more of the time.
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #54 on: 16 December 2017, 19:05 »
Not sure of the technical differences which are likely minimal but PS4S are not available in 18s so PS4 it'll be. On Blackcircles just now with the £40 off 4 will cost £452.88. Costco who get recommended on here regularly came out at £439.14 although there may be a cost of membership to take into account. The Michelins were the overall winners in the 2017 Evo tyre awards by quite some margin iirc but it was recommendations on here that persuaded me in the end and even bearing in mind the £120 additional cost over Pirellis it was money very well spent as I can appreciate the benefits every time I go for a drive. Brilliant :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 16 December 2017, 19:21 »
Not sure of the technical differences which are likely minimal but PS4S are not available in 18s so PS4 it'll be. On Blackcircles just now with the £40 off 4 will cost £452.88. Costco who get recommended on here regularly came out at £439.14 although there may be a cost of membership to take into account. The Michelins were the overall winners in the 2017 Evo tyre awards by quite some margin iirc but it was recommendations on here that persuaded me in the end and even bearing in mind the £120 additional cost over Pirellis it was money very well spent as I can appreciate the benefits every time I go for a drive. Brilliant :smiley:

Dam they have gone up in the last few months, I got mine for something like £96 A corner back in the summer.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 16 December 2017, 19:34 »

This is what Michelin say.

What’s happening with Pilot Sport 4S?

Well in Europe the tyre is sold in 19” plus sizes, with only some limited production of 18” (in Michelin Factories in the USA) being made and sold only in their market

We make 19” plus sizes in Europe, and predominantly for cars with 250-300bhp+

Why?  Well the performance difference in 18” is seriously small (PS4 vs PS4S), unlike the old difference between Pilot Sport 3 and Pilot Super Sport (which was a major difference)

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #57 on: 16 December 2017, 19:35 »
My experience of Bridgestone tyres comes from my ownership of a Honda S2000.  Bridgestone developed tyres especially for the S2000, which is notoriously sensitive to tyre construction and wheel alignment. 

Honda designed the suspension to work with tyres with very stiff sidewalls, and all of the criticisms of Bridgestones in this and many other threads indicate that stiff sidewalls, or rather a lack of compliance in the tyre sidewalls is the cause of the apparent mismatch with the Golf suspension.

The only question is why did VW specify them as original equipment?

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 16 December 2017, 19:37 »
My experience of Bridgestone tyres comes from my ownership of a Honda S2000.  Bridgestone developed tyres especially for the S2000, which is notoriously sensitive to tyre construction and wheel alignment. 

Honda designed the suspension to work with tyres with very stiff sidewalls, and all of the criticisms of Bridgestones in this and many other threads indicate that stiff sidewalls, or rather a lack of compliance in the tyre sidewalls is the cause of the apparent mismatch with the Golf suspension.

Which Bridgestone's did the S2000 have?

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #59 on: 16 December 2017, 20:51 »

My feeling is the rubber compound is too hard for a sporty car. It's a hard wearing and durable (which is a shame, cos I'm trying to wear them out!) tyre, but as well suited to a sports cars as a shark would be playing ping pong!: So I can well believe the side walls are too stiff.