Author Topic: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?  (Read 16382 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?
« Reply #20 on: 31 March 2017, 20:26 »
Drive more, wear them out and buy something else when you get a chance :)

Think mine did about 15k on the front and 56k on the rears.
... they will fit the front of my parents new Merc :cool: So I may have a customer for some Bridgestone tyres.

When I wore out the fronts last time, I gave my rear tyres to my parents for their old Merc. The Bridgestones worked fine on the front of a rear wheel drive car. Probably miles better than the 'no make, ditch finders' my dad would want to buy :rolleyes:

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 31 March 2017, 20:57 »
Drive more, wear them out and buy something else when you get a chance :)

Think mine did about 15k on the front and 56k on the rears.
... they will fit the front of my parents new Merc :cool: So I may have a customer for some Bridgestone tyres.

When I wore out the fronts last time, I gave my rear tyres to my parents for their old Merc. The Bridgestones worked fine on the front of a rear wheel drive car. Probably miles better than the 'no make, ditch finders' my dad would want to buy :rolleyes:

That's what I'm doing, kind off. I'm giving my wheels and tyres to someone that is having their GTD wheels replaced under warranty and the dealer is fitting the PS4's I bought a few weeks back to the new wheels and then we will just swap wheels. We were going to swap my tyres onto his wheels but when I had a look at his wheels they all had the dreaded white worm( think that is what it's called) so I after bringing the issue up at his dealers they are now going through the whole replacement under warranty thing.

As for the Bridgestone, the grip is okay as long as you don't want to accelerate hard or want to stop in a hurry on a wet road and you don't mind the drone from them they will be fine. Personally I can't wait to get rid of them. Not a huge fan of Pirelli P Zero's either.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 31 March 2017, 22:21 »
They are noisy but once warmed up they grip and stop in any conditions.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 31 March 2017, 22:51 »
They are noisy but once warmed up they grip and stop in any conditions.
I did read that the new Bridgestone tyres are better. However, the competition has also moved on.

I didn't have to read this forum to realise that my Bridgestone tyres were noisy, firm riding and poor gripping. Tyres provide grip for acceleration, braking and cornering. I just found too much tyre spin, traction control when braking and under steer. Especially if it was cold and wet. I got used to it, but changing the tyres considerably improved the feel of the car for me. So I have already factored in changing the tyres. I'm not going to slide around in my new GTI the way I did for 1 1/2 years in the GTD - until I changed the tyres!
« Last Edit: 31 March 2017, 23:05 by Daz Auto »

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #24 on: 01 April 2017, 10:13 »
Strange but I don't find them noisy at all.
Maybe it's because I drive a fully loaded Transit van with ladders on the roof during the day :whistle:
Anything would seem quiet after that :wink:
« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 15:51 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 01 April 2017, 14:38 »
They are on my pp gti and if you drive like a normal person the tyres are fine. Bit noisy but an ok Tyre for normal driving under normal road conditions.

Agreed! Honest and realistic view. I drive with my wife in the car most of the time and all the married and coupled will know what that means: Mr Sensible must be driving at all times of the day and night! :wink:

They sure are noisy, the tyres I mean of course...
« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 15:01 by GTDING »

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 01 April 2017, 15:10 »
They are on my pp gti and if you drive like a normal person the tyres are fine. Bit noisy but an ok Tyre for normal driving under normal road conditions.

Honestly, the same for me (except non PP). OK, if I want to accelerate hard on a cold, wet road, it's not going to happen, but even that's just a matter of degree. I tried to get the tyres swapped out by the dealer, when the car was delivered, but, unless another GTI had come in, at the same time, with better tyres, that wasn't going to happen, despite them wanting to help. Decided to live with them and my OCD will probably dictate that I replace the almost worn out Bridgestones on the front with another pair!

OCD in the sense that you want to keep the car as original as possible, or just match the rears?
« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 15:21 by GTDING »

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 01 April 2017, 16:49 »

Honestly, the same for me (except non PP). OK, if I want to accelerate hard on a cold, wet road, it's not going to happen, but even that's just a matter of degree. I tried to get the tyres swapped out by the dealer, when the car was delivered, but, unless another GTI had come in, at the same time, with better tyres, that wasn't going to happen, despite them wanting to help. Decided to live with them and my OCD will probably dictate that I replace the almost worn out Bridgestones on the front with another pair!

OCD in the sense that you want to keep the car as original as possible, or just match the rears?

Matching, lining up, symmetrical, all that kind of thing. Not a problem (my wife might disagree!) just the result of forty odd years as a designer, or maybe I was a bit that way anyway.  :whistle:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 01 April 2017, 20:45 »

Agreed! Honest and realistic view. I drive with my wife in the car most of the time and all the married and coupled will know what that means: Mr Sensible must be driving at all times of the day and night! :wink:

...  :huh:

Then why buy a performance Golf? A standard Golf would be much better for that sort of driving.

When we are together we usually take my wife's A3 SE - normal suspension and 16inch tyres make it a much more comfortable cruiser than my GTD with sport suspension and low profile tyres. :whistle:
« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 20:48 by Daz Auto »

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 01 April 2017, 20:50 »

...  :huh:

Then why buy a performance Golf? A standard Golf would be much better for that sort of driving.

When we are together we usually take my wife's A3 SE - normal suspension and 16inch tyres make it a much more comfortable cruiser than my GTD with sport suspension and low profile tyres. :whistle:

Because we wanted it. Just because you have big muscles, you don't have to show them off! :grin: Plus I'm a law abiding person.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2017, 20:55 by GTDING »