Author Topic: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?  (Read 16386 times)

Offline GTDING

• Not said much yet
Re: Tyres and stuff..
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2017, 21:42 »
My parents Merc has a high capacity Ad Blue tank. So it is expected that it will only need filled during servicing.

The opinion of most owners is that the OEM Bridgestone tyres don't offer as much grip as many alternatives. They do wear well though. :rolleyes:

Possibly the best tyre currently available is the new Michelin PS4. Though Continental, Goodyear and Dunlop have tyres that should be almost as good for less money. Check tyrereviews.co.uk

Thank you. Anyone know how Avon tyres are working these days? Not sure they even make them in the GTD's tyre size though. They always did me well in the past, but not sure how they compare as a performance tyre now, or whether they are still made in Blighty..

Also, I've noticed the GTD has something called 'Anti-Tramp'. What on earth does this do, apart from the witty obvious..
« Last Edit: 29 March 2017, 21:49 by GTDING »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Tyres and Anti-Tramp!?
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2017, 22:22 »
Anti-tramp... VW re-enactment of A Clockwork Orange :)

Just another ESP/XDS/traction control thing to stop wheel spin at low speed power application. Detects wheel spin and backs off the power by computer control.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: Tyres and stuff..
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2017, 23:55 »
Thank you. Anyone know how Avon tyres are working these days? Not sure they even make them in the GTD's tyre size though. They always did me well in the past, but not sure how they compare as a performance tyre now, or whether they are still made in Blighty..
There are 3 reviews of the new Avon tyre on tyrereviews.co.uk Looks like the Bridgestones are better. Not a tyre I would want on my GTD. But I think that tyres are the most important part of any car.

If my new GTI arrives with Bridgestones - the 2 front tyres will be getting replaced with Michelins.

My wife's A3 needs 2 new tyres. They will be Continental PremiumContact 6. According to the reviews - the best touring tyre currently available.

My days of listening to the advice of the bloke at the tyre depot ended when I had an accident in my wife's old Golf. His recommend tyres did not work when I needed them to.

They also told me that I only needed 2 winter tyres. They were wrong! My insurance company told me they do not provide cover if only 2 winter tyres are fitted.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2017, 20:23 »
Keep the Bridgestone on over the summer and then change them, total waste to change them straight away. I've got them on my gti and while other tyres are probably better they are ok. If you don't drive like an idiot they are fine.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2017, 21:37 »
Form your own opinion based on your experience, you may find the tyres meet your needs for the car and you.  Start the first day of ownership without bias and enjoy,  then review this as you live with it.

Don't rush out to change just because other have or haven't, most modern cars are over tyre-d these days anyway, and we seem to want grip above all else, and many don't like a car to move around at all.  You may or may not want the same but best to form your own judgement with the car and decide 6 months later...

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2017, 22:42 »
Keep the Bridgestone on over the summer and then change them, total waste to change them straight away. I've got them on my gti and while other tyres are probably better they are ok. If you don't drive like an idiot they are fine.

I currently have Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2 tyres on my GTD. They were a massive improvement on the original Bridgestone tyres. I'm hoping the new GTI 7.5 PP doesn't come with Bridgestones. I will try them for sure. However, I'm moving up a level in performance and I want to be sure I can trust the tyres. With my current mileage it would take me several years to wear down the Bridgestones. If I'm going to change them sooner or later, it may as well be sooner.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 31 March 2017, 07:24 »
They are on my pp gti and if you drive like a normal person the tyres are fine. Bit noisy but an ok Tyre for normal driving under normal road conditions.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 31 March 2017, 09:09 »
They are on my pp gti and if you drive like a normal person the tyres are fine. Bit noisy but an ok Tyre for normal driving under normal road conditions.

Honestly, the same for me (except non PP). OK, if I want to accelerate hard on a cold, wet road, it's not going to happen, but even that's just a matter of degree. I tried to get the tyres swapped out by the dealer, when the car was delivered, but, unless another GTI had come in, at the same time, with better tyres, that wasn't going to happen, despite them wanting to help. Decided to live with them and my OCD will probably dictate that I replace the almost worn out Bridgestones on the front with another pair!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 31 March 2017, 09:20 »

Honestly, the same for me (except non PP). OK, if I want to accelerate hard on a cold, wet road, it's not going to happen, but even that's just a matter of degree. I tried to get the tyres swapped out by the dealer, when the car was delivered, but, unless another GTI had come in, at the same time, with better tyres, that wasn't going to happen, despite them wanting to help. Decided to live with them and my OCD will probably dictate that I replace the almost worn out Bridgestones on the front with another pair!

I can safely say the same about the P Zeros when cold.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 31 March 2017, 09:21 »
Drive more, wear them out and buy something else when you get a chance :)

Think mine did about 15k on the front and 56k on the rears.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC