Author Topic: Car-Net App-Connect after purchase?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Car-Net App-Connect after purchase?
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2017, 10:39 »
IMHO, it's not all that and I can think of lots that I'd rather have for £200 odd.  :rolleyes:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2017, 10:57 »
IMHO, it's not all that and I can think of lots that I'd rather have for £200 odd.  :rolleyes:

I want it just to use google maps because the nav in the Golf is a joke.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2017, 12:58 »
I've not found the 3 year old MIB1 NavPro I've got to be too bad. The biggest problem with it is the reliance on RDS traffic information. Its not even that RDS is actually poor - its just that UK RDS data is pathetic - not enough data and it being poorly updated (time to "see" a problem can be 30+ minutes and then either clearing it hours after the problem goes OR clearing it before the tailbacks have actually gone).

That's not VW's fault though.

On the continent the system works REALLY well because they actually bother to have accurate data broadcast.

I'd like some better traffic data, but MIB2/3 offers that without resorting to Google Nav. From what I've seen running a smartphone nav instead can be a bit of a double edged sword.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2017, 13:12 »

In that case I reckon you'll have to go Android, because, to answer your previous question about Apple Maps, no, the apps you can use Car-play with are very limited, and you know how self oriented Apple is. You might be better spending your £200 on a TomTom - you'd get a very good one for that.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2017, 13:54 »

In that case I reckon you'll have to go Android, because, to answer your previous question about Apple Maps, no, the apps you can use Car-play with are very limited, and you know how self oriented Apple is. You might be better spending your £200 on a TomTom - you'd get a very good one for that.

Yes I thought as much but just asked more in hope seeing as you can now remove Apple maps in iOS 10
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2017, 20:20 »
Just to differentiate between Car-Net  and  App Connect, they are two separate things.

A Mk 7 will not come with App Connect as standard, it is an optional extra or a £200 retrofit later.

However Car-Net Guide and Inform is free to all new owners.  You just register with VW when you get the car and VIN number and they send you a code to activate Car-Net.

https://www.volkswagen-car-net.com/portal/en_GB/web/gb/create-profile

http://volkswagen-carnet.com/gb/en/start/app-overview.html#tab/open/vw-cat-guide-and-inform
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2017, 20:14 »
Decided not to go ahead with Car-Net as the cost was £218. I didn't actually realise how good the connection with the iPhone is on the regular stereo. Also got a 64GB SD card and have all of my music on that so I'm not really missing anything TBH.